Campus News

John Brown’s Raid on Harpers Ferry 160 Years Ago

October 16, 2019
Communications Staff
sepia toned photo of Lewis Sheridan Leary.
Lewis Sheridan Leary, a harness maker from Oberlin. Photo credit: Courtesy of Oberlin College Archives

‘‘In Oberlin History’’ is a series dedicated to notable events in Oberlin College history. It is created in partnership with the Office of Communications and Oberlin College Archives.

In October of 1859, abolitionist John Brown led a party of 22 on the raid of a United States arsenal at Harpers Ferry, Virginia. The effort was intended to initiate an armed slave revolt in Southern states. Among the group were three Oberlinians: Shields Green, a former slave and abolitionist; Lewis Sheridan Leary, a harness maker; and John A. Copeland, a student of the Oberlin Preparatory Department between 1854 and 1855.

A monument in their honor stands in Martin Luther King Jr. Park on Vine Street in Oberlin. Although some questioned John Brown’s intentions in leading the ill-fated raid, his small group of followers, including the Oberlinians, remained steadfast in their fight against slavery.

You may also like…

A man signs a book.

Oberlin in Photos

March 31, 2020
If the walls in Finney Chapel could talk, they would reverberate with the enchanting sounds of the Oberlin Orchestra; command attention with empowering words spoken by Martin Luther KingJr.; and pulse joyously along with South Africa’s Soweto Gospel Choir.
A row of seated students on a stage.

This Week in Photos: March 4

March 4, 2020
Alumni journalist and authors, the first black woman to stage an opera in the United States is honored, and TIMARA students who turn words of gratitude into works of audible art at a nearby hospital are just some of the features in this week’s photo series.
This wood engraving, made in 1846 from a drawing by Henry Howe, depicts West College Street in Oberlin.

The Founding of Oberlin College

December 6, 2019
"In Oberlin History" is a series dedicated to notable events in Oberlin College history. In December of 1833, 29 men and 15 women began classes as the first students of the Oberlin Collegiate Institute.