As outlined in the Presidential Initiative on Racial Equity and Diversity Commission’s Report, one of the various recommendations we are committed to as an institution is the creation of a new, innovative center – The Center for Race, Equity, and Inclusion. This Center will ensure Oberlin continues to be a valued contributor to the national conversation on race. The Center will bring together academic opportunities, co-curricular experiences, career programming, mentorship, community building, and civic engagement related to race, equity, and inclusion all under one umbrella.
At the helm of this work, Oberlin will need a distinctly qualified and committed leader, uniquely poised to launch the Center as envisioned. To help us in the search for this person, we have retained the services of Spencer Stuart to work with us on this important endeavor. The search committee has been established and a position profile will be posted shortly. As we think about potential candidates to fill this position, I wanted to provide you with the names of the search committee members so you can nominate candidates either through Spencer Stuart via their confidential email inbox at OberlinEDCREI@SpencerStuart.com, or by reaching out to the search committee. As the search progresses, I look forward to updating our community on this important step to cementing Oberlin’s voice in the national conversation.
Executive Director of The Center for Race, Equity, and Inclusion Search Committee
- Carmen Twillie Ambar, President – Chair of the Committee
- Laura Herron, Associate Dean for Academic Standing & Assistant Professor of Jewish Studies
- David Hertz, Chief of Staff – ex officio member
- Scott Hwang, Senior Assistant Dean & Director of the Multicultural Resource Commons
- David Kamitsuka, Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences
- Gunnar Kwayke, Robert W. & Eleanor H. Biggs Professor of Neuroscience
- Chudi Martin ’23, student
- Jan Miyake ’96, Associate Professor of Music Theory & Division Director of Music Theory
- William Quillen, Dean of the Conservatory of Music
- Sally Takada, Associate Dean, Artistic Programming and External Relations
- Kymber Taylor, Associate Vice President & Chief Data & Analytics Officer
- Veronica Padilla Vriesman, Assistant Professor of Geosciences
Carmen Twillie Ambar