1. Obviously, we share the same colors as Gryffindor: maroon and gold.
2. Have you seen Peters? Hogwarts all the way, especially the Observatory on top.
3. The secret staircase in Wilder (the Student Union) and the secret tunnels under South Campus. Where are they? I ain't telling. It's so much more magical if you stumble upon them yourself.
4. My friend's dorm room sophomore year had a legit Room of Requirement -- a secret room attached to her room that you could access by moving a panel aside and climbing through a hole in the wall. Inside, it's evident that generations of Oberlin students had made the space a perfect hideway. A working lamp, a mattress, drawings all over the walls... I took some monster naps in there that year. Again, I'm not telling where!
5. Our Quidditch team. Yes, we have one. I've seen them practicing. The snitch is a person wearing yellow and running for his or her life.
6. Professors, like Professor McGonagall, that intimidate the hell out of you, but teach you so much and earn your infinite respect. Every student here has several I'm sure.
Responses to this Entry
Alice! I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE ROOM OF REQUIREMENT! I promise I'll keep it a secret! :D
Posted by: Helena on November 30, 2009 10:42 PM
Taking absolutely nothing away from your argument here, because I do in fact agree with everything you said, just a tasty bit of information I picked up today: Oberlin's official colors are actually 'cardinal red' and 'mikado yellow'. Yeah, weird.
Maroon and gold sounds better anyway.
Posted by: Joe on December 1, 2009 5:33 PM
Really good observations. Have you **really** been in Finney Chapel (esp downstairs) or in the tower? In about half the houses off campus? Did you ever notice that no matter how light it is outside, you can never see everything in Fairchild? Ever . . .
Posted by: John on December 1, 2009 5:50 PM
@Helena: I'll only tell if you trade me another Oberlin secret...
Posted by: Alice on December 5, 2009 4:03 PM
Leave a Comment