It’s that time of year again – blogger application season!
If getting paid to write about life at Oberlin sounds like a good gig, please read on – the application is below. Slight preference will be given to first-year applicants, but students from all class years are encouraged to apply.
To be considered, please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the day on Monday, September 14, with the following:
- Two sample blog posts recounting experiences you’ve had at Oberlin or because of Oberlin (first-year applicants may write about other subjects if they feel they don't have enough Oberlin-related material yet). Conveying the where/when/what is a good start, but dig deep in your storytelling: the why and how are equally important. Consider your audiences (primarily prospective students and families who want to learn more about Oberlin and the people, experiences, and opportunities here) and how your writing will resonate with them.
- Are you enrolled in the Con, College, or both? What is your major, or intended major? (“I have no idea” is a perfectly reasonable answer. Unless you’re a senior.)
- What do you do (or plan to do, post-pandemic!) outside of class? (Athletics, student orgs, etc.)
- Where do you live when you’re here in Oberlin (i.e., which dorm, or are you living off-campus)? Where did you grow up?
- Why do you want to blog for Oberlin (other than for the paycheck!)? What do you feel that you can offer to prospective students who are trying to decide if Oberlin is a good match?
- Send a link to your favorite blog and let us know in a few words why it’s your favorite. If you have a personal blog already, send us that too!
- Come up with a random question and answer it however you like.
Many thanks for your interest. We look forward to reading your applications!