It's that time of year again - blogger application season! If getting paid to write about your life sounds like a good gig, please read on - the application is below.
Students from all four years (five, if you're double-degree) are encouraged to apply. We are looking to maintain a team of talented writers who will be able to share a wide variety of perspectives and experiences. Good writing is the focus of our blogs, but we are also interested in bloggers who use other media such as photos, video, audio, art, etc. to supplement their entries.
To be considered, please email email@example.com by the end of the day on Wednesday, September 21st with the following:
- A link to your "portfolio." If you already have a blog, that's perfect - just send us the address. If you don't, please register for a free account at Blogger or Wordpress and post some entries - anything from ongoing narratives of your current adventures at Oberlin to things you've written in the past - whatever you want us to see that you feel will help us to understand your style. Please remember that what we're looking for most is depth - the how and the why are more important than the what. Some of you have asked if you need to clean up the profanity in your current blogs, and the response is definitely no - we're big kids.
- Are you a regular contributor to sites such as Facebook or College Confidential? If you feel that your posts on forums such as these will be helpful, please feel free to include them.
- Are you enrolled in the Con, College, or both? What is your major, or intended major? ("I have no idea" is a perfectly reasonable answer. Unless you're a senior.)
- What do you do (or plan to do) outside of class? (Athletics, student orgs, etc.)
- Where do you live when you're here in Oberlin (i.e. which dorm, or are you living off-campus)? Where did you grow up?
- Why do you want to blog for Oberlin? What do you feel that you can offer to prospective students who are trying to decide if Oberlin is a good match?
- Send a link to your favorite blog and let us know in a few words why it's your favorite.
- Come up with some weird question and answer it however you like.
That's about it... we look forward to reading your applications!