Engaged Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies takes what you’re learning in your courses and puts it into practice through internships, research, study away, winter term, career exploration, and beyond.
Here’s a sampling of recent projects, field experiences, and post-graduate destinations for gender, sexuality, and feminist studies majors.
Ways Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies Majors Rise
- Between and Beyond the Binary: Gender Pronouns and Community Support
- Fearless Foreign Women: Exploring Tamar and Ruth as Characters within a Post-Exilic Debate on Intermarriage
- “This is a Closed Space for Queer Identifying Folks”: Queer Spaces on Campus
- Gendering Genitals: Medical Discourse and Healthcare Provider Education on Intersex Conditions
- Strengthening Networks of Expertise: Midwives, Obstetricians, and Complementarity in Danish Birthing
- Center for Health and Gender Equity, Washington, DC: reproductive justice advocate
- Feminist Majority Foundation, Arlington, Va.: research intern on challenges facing women in politics
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship at the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
- Equal Access Afghanistan, San Francisco: human rights intern
- Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE), Washington, DC: policy intern on women, girls, and HIV
- Rabat, Morocco, and Amsterdam, Netherlands: International Perspectives on Sexuality and Gender
- Chiapas, Mexico Solidarity Network: Zapatismo and the Sixth Declaration
- Sweden, DIS Abroad Stockholm: Gender, Equality, and Sexuality in Scandinavia
- Argentina, CIEE Liberal Arts, Buenos Aires: Body, Gender, and Sexuality in Argentina
- Italy, Syracuse University in Florence: Women and Gender in Renaissance Art
- Contemporary Midwifery course
- Lorain County General Health District Archives project
- Elyria YWCA Girls’ Circle
- Feminist Care and Wellness, private reading
- Faculty research assistant for “Prostitution Research: Understanding Debates in European Societies”
First Destinations of Recent Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies Majors
- Graduate Schools:
- Master of Social Work, New York University
- Yale School of Nursing Midwifery Program
- PhD in sociology and women’s studies, University of Michigan
- Mt. Sinai Medical School
- MFA in creative nonfiction, Emerson College
- MBA in sustainable business, Presidio Graduate School, Seattle
- Teacher’s College, Columbia University
- MPH, Boston University School of Public Health
- PhD in ethnic studies, UC Riverside
- AmeriCorps, Calif.
- National Advocates for Pregnant Women, N.Y.
- Fulbright Fellow, Tblisi, Georgia
- National Public Radio, Washington, DC
- National Institute for Reproductive Health, N.Y.
- Teach for America, Colo.
- Planned Parenthood of Michigan
- General Counsel’s Office of the New York Bar
- Peace Corps, Paraguay
- Research specialist, Corporate Accountability International
- Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence
- Non-fiction editor, Black Warrior Review