Engaged Environmental Studies takes what you’re learning in your courses and puts it into practice through internships, research, study away, winter term, career exploration, and beyond.
Here’s a sampling of recent projects, field experiences, and post-graduate destinations for environmental studies majors.
Ways Environmental Studies Majors Rise
- “Indigenous Resilience, Adaptation, and Community Solidarity in the Face of Climate Change”
- “Rethinking Redevelopment: New Urbanism, Neoliberalism, and Sustainable Urban Design in Cleveland, Ohio”
- “Changing Carbon Allocation to Nuts and Woody Tissue in an Experimental Hazelnut Orchard”
- “Exploring Japanese Local Food Systems through the Lens of Organic Rice Farming”
- “Constructing Alternate Futures: Speculative Fiction within the Environmental Justice Movement”
- “Africatown, Alabama, Oral History Archive Project”
- Foresight Design Initiative (Chicago): sustainable design projects
- San Francisco Estuary Institute (San Francisco): fieldwork, research, and grant writing
- Amman Center for Peace and Development (Jordan): building peace among Israeli, Palestinian, & Jordanian citizens
- Toronto Green Community (Canada): advocacy for sustainable communities
- National Science Foundation (Blacksburg, Va.): REU, greenhouse gas dynamics in drinking water reservoir
- North Carolina Botanical Garden (N.C.): conservation and land management intern
- CIEE: Sustainability and the Environment (Costa Rica)
- SIT: Sustainable Development and Social Change (India)
- Frontiers Abroad: Geology of New Zealand
- Danenberg Oberlin-in-London program
- SIT: Amazonian Ecology and Natural Resource Management (Brazil)
- Cornell University: Earth and Environmental Systems (Hawaii)
- CIEE: Development and Globalization (Thailand)
- Earlham College: Border Studies (Mexico and Ariz.)
- Environmental Dashboard (Oberlin and beyond): ecological design, feedback technology, and software development
- AJLC Living Machine: fecal coliform culturing, biological oxygen demand, ion chromatography, ammonium testing
- Vel’s Purple Oasis (Cleveland): urban gardening and independent research in an urban African American community
- George Jones Farm (Oberlin): farming assistants, greenhouse agriculture, aquaculture
First Destinations of Recent Environmental Studies Majors
- Graduate Schools:
- MS at Univ. Of Michigan School of Environment and Sustainability
- MEM at Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
- Master of City Planning at MIT
- MS in resource conservation at Univ. Of Montana
- MS in nature, society, and environmental policy at Oxford
- PhD in English at U.C. Davis
- PhD in science/ technology studies at Cornell
- MS at London School of Economics
- PhD in Climate and Environment Group at Brown
- Watson Fellowship
- Shansi Fellowship: China, Indonesia
- Shansi Fellowship: Japan, Fulbright ETA: Colombia
- Truman Fellowship
- Conservation diversity fellow, Open Space Initiative, N.Y.
- Marketing associate, Pure Growth Organic, N.Y.
- Geotechnical engineering technician, Md.
- TEDx applications reviewer, Calif.
- Urban planner, WXY Studio, N.Y.
- Planning specialist, Detroit Building Authority
- International coordinator, Roots & Shoots, Jane Goodall Institute