Introducing the New 988 Suicide and Crisis line
September 19, 2022 10:00 AM
The new three-digit dialing code connecting people to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 988.
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis:
- We encourage you to call, text, or chat 988 to be quickly connected with a trained mental health professional.
- A mental health crisis may include thoughts of suicide, self-injury or harm to others, alcohol or substance abuse, rapid mood swings, experience of trauma, agitation, confused thinking or irrational thoughts, or extreme energy or lack of energy.
- Compassionate care and support is available for anyone experiencing mental health-related distress.
- You can also dial 988 if you are worried about a peer or a loved one who may need crisis support.
- The goal of the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is to provide immediate crisis intervention and support.
- A trained crisis counselor will answer the phone, listen to your concerns, understand how your concern is affecting you, provide support and share resources, as needed.
Crisis counselors are trained to help in a variety of crisis situations, and no caller is required to disclose any personal information. Learn more about 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.