- Chair and Professor of Physics
- B. A. Mod., Trinity College Dublin Ireland,1987
- Master of Science, Cornell University, 1990
- Doctor of Philosophy, Cornell University, 1994
- Infrared spectroscopy of trapped hydrogen molecules
- Inelastic spectroscopy of Fullerenes (Buckyballs)
Stephen FitzGerald Awarded GrantMarch 2, 2017
Professor of Physics Stephen FitzGerald was awarded a three-year, $310,000 grant from the National Science Foundation to support his project entitled "RUI: Probing adsorbate interactions in metal-organic frameworks using site selective spectroscopy." This research examines hydrogen storage for fuel-cell applications and isotope separation for chemical labeling, medical tracing, and heavy water moderators. The grant provides funds for on-going student participation and the acquisition of a specialized mass-spectrometer.
Stephen FitzGerald PublishesNovember 11, 2015
Professor of Physics Stephen FitzGerald published the paper "Orientational ortho-H2 pair interactions in the microporous framework MOF-5” in the international journal Physical Review B. The paper was co-authored by Christopher Eckdahl '17, Cooper McDonald '15, Jocienne Nelson '14, Kai Shinbrough '17, Holden Lai '15, and the late Assistant Professor of Chemistry Jesse Rowsell.