Please mark your calendars for a special event to honor our colleague Yeworkwha Belachew (YB) and her many contributions to Oberlin's culture and community. In addition to her more than 35 years of service to the college, most recently as Ombudsperson, YB also is responsible for pioneering and mentoring the Oberlin College Dialogue Center (OCDC), which is celebrated nationally as a best-practices model.
At 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, October 3, the college will host a ceremony at the Lewis House, 68 South Professor St., to rename the OCDC to the Yeworkwha Belachew Center for Dialogue at Oberlin College. YB will be in attendance and all are welcome. OCDC alumni and affiliates also have been invited.
YB will assume emerita status upon her forthcoming retirement. I have appointed the following committee to conduct the search for Oberlin's next ombudsperson:
- Megan Bautista '15, student
- Eric Estes, vice president and dean of students (cochair)
- Ben Jones '96, vice president for communications (cochair)
- Nick Loh '14, class trustee
- Jane Mathison, chief of staff, Office of the President
- Jan Miyake '96, associate professor of music theory
- Afia Ofori-Mensa, director, Office of Undergraduate Research
- Lillian White '16, student
- Matthew Wright, associate professor of theater
Questions and candidate nominations may be directed to email@example.com.