The Office of Admissions has moved from the Carnegie Building to its new home in the Peter B. Lewis Gateway Center on North Main Street and East College Street. Visiting families were welcomed to the new space on Friday, May 5, 2017.
Built to LEED Platinum standards, the Gateway Center opened in 2016 as the cornerstone of Oberlin's Green Arts District and is part of President Marvin Krislov’s visionary plan to create an environmentally sustainable center for community and a gateway to the downtown and college. The Gateway Center is also home to the Hotel at Oberlin, 1833 Restaurant, the Birenbaum Innovation and Performance Space, Lemle Center for Teaching Innovation and Excellence, and StudiOC (opening fall 2017).
More than 12,000 individuals pass through the admissions office for a campus tour each year. With its move to the Gateway Center, the office will now function as a working visitor center with greater capacity to welcome families, ample seating and workspace, storage for luggage, and a technology bar. The space also adds offices dedicated to interviews, flex space for financial aid discussions, and a private conference room. The new location provides visiting families a convenient link to Gateway Center lodging and dining, along with proximity to performance space and glimpses of innovative classroom technology.
Debra Chermonte, Vice President and Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, stewarded the relocation of the Office of Admissions to this hub of activity and energy. The new office realizes Chermonte’s vision of a more collaborative office environment, as for the first time all admissions staff are together on a single floor. To recognize Chermonte’s years of dedication to Oberlin, the conference room is named in her honor.
Along with its new location, the admissions office also received a new name. In honor of the outgoing chair of the Board of Trustees, the office is now called the Clyde S. McGregor ’74 Office of Admissions.
You may also like…
March 25, 2022
September 17, 2021
March 26, 2021