First Church in Oberlin
Founded in 1834, today First Church emphasizes our need to be centered in the worship of God so we may best accomplish the work of God. First Church in Oberlin is part of the United Church of Christ organization and maintains a commitment to benevolence, mission work, and social action both locally and globally, through its individual members and its collective financial support.
Historically, construction of the Meeting House was accomplished with the offerings of material and labor from the people of the community and their friends abroad. The cornerstone was laid on June 17, 1842; a tower was added in 1845. The church has been renovated and updated over the years.
Designed as place to serve the needs of the church and community, it was the only church in Oberlin until the 1950s.
With original seating for 1,800, the Meeting House was the largest auditorium west of the Alleghenies. In addition to worship services, it was often the site of lectures, political meetings, recitals, and even Commencement.
First Church is a city of Oberlin Historic Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places.