- BA, Kalamazoo College, 1987
- MDiv, Vanderbilt Divinity School, 1991
- ThD, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University, 2002
- 109. Jerusalem: Negotiating Sacred Space
- 184. Genesis Through the Centuries
- 201. The Bible in the Christian Communities of Asia, Africa and Latin America
- 202. The Nature of Suffering: The Book of Job and its History of Interpretation
- 205. Hebrew Bible in its Ancient Near Eastern Context
- 208. New Testament and Christian Origins
- 303. Anthropological Approaches to the Study of the Bible: Kinship and the Family in Ancient Israel
- 338. Biblical Historiography and the Shaping of National Memory: The Book of Isaiah and its Canonical Legacy
- The Great Courses: “The World of Biblical Israel”
A 24-lecture course on the history, religion, politics and daily life of ancient Israel.
- The House of the Mother: The Social Roles of Maternal Kin in Biblical Hebrew Narrative and Poetry. Anchor Yale Bible Reference Library. New Haven/London: Yale University Press, 2016. http://yalebooks.com/book/9780300197945/house-mother
- The Gendered Language of Warfare in the Israelite-Assyrian Encounter. Harvard Semitic Monographs 62. Winona Lake, Ind: Eisenbrauns, 2004.
- “Sculpted Warriors: Sexuality and the Sacred in the Depiction of Warfare in the Assyrian Palace Reliefs and in Ezekiel 23:14-17,” Lectio Difficilior (January 2007).
- "'Oh that you were like a brother to me, One who had nursed at my mother's breasts.' Breast Milk as a Kinship-Forging Substance." Journal of Hebrew Scriptures 12 article 7 (2012): 1-42. http://www.jhsonline.org/Articles/article_169.pdf
Cindy Chapman Receives Award, Authors, and PresentsNovember 7, 2017
Cindy Chapman, professor of religion, was awarded "Best Book Relating to the Hebrew Bible" for 2017 by the Biblical Archaeology Society for her recently published book, The House of the Mother: The Social Roles of Maternal Kin in Biblical Hebrew Narrative and Poetry (Yale University Press, 2016).
This year, Chapman also presented a paper entitled, "The Hebrew Mother of Seven: An Ingathering of Antecedents," on October 13, 2017, for the Biblical Studies Seminar at New College, University of Edinburgh, and she co-authored with Michael Coogan the fourth edition of The Old Testament: A Historical and Literary Introduction to the Hebrew Scriptures (Oxford University Press, 2017).