Individual projects require an online written registration application. All winter-term projects undertaken must have an on-campus sponsor.

Faculty members and, under some circumstances, members of the administrative and professional staff, may serve as project sponsors.

Finding a suitable sponsor is largely a matter of matching student and faculty or staff member interests. Students may design their own projects and or seek guidance from their sponsor, who will help plan a project that is academically relevant, rigorous, experiential, and educationally rewarding.

Individual Project Grants

The Winter Term Committee annually awards a limited number of grants for individual student projects. These awards are need-based and also consider the educational merits of the proposed project.  The grant application is embedded within the project application - all students will have the opportunity to request funding when they apply for their project.  An individual grant may not be applied to customary tuition costs, such as for student-taught secondary applied music lessons.

 Things to note:

  1. Projects involving interviews, surveys, etc. may require approval from the Oberlin College Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to the start date. Information on the IRB application process can be obtained from the IRB website.
  2. Students planning to travel to a country with a State Department Travel Warning for any college-sponsored activity in which either Oberlin College credit is earned, Oberlin funding is used, or transfer credit is applied toward a degree must be granted a waiver to the Travel Warning Policy.  Please see details on the policy and the waiver process .  Countries currently on the Travel Warning list are posted at Travel.State.Gov .