BA, Religion, Colgate University, 1993
MFA, Creative Writing, Columbia University, 2005
Robin Beth Schaer is visiting assistant professor of creative writing. She is the author of the poetry collection, Shipbreaking, published in 2015. Her poetry, essays, and criticism have appeared in numerous publications, including Tin House, Paris Review, Bomb Magazine, Orion Magazine, and Guernica.
Her work has been recognized with grants and fellowships from the Corporation of Yaddo, the MacDowell Colony, the Djerassi Resident Artists Program, the Saltonstall Foundation, the Vermont Studio Center, and the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts.
Schaer has taught writing courses at Columbia University, the College of Wooster, Cooper Union, and the New School. For five years, she worked at the Academy of American Poets as a program director. She worked as a deckhand aboard the Tall Ship Bounty, a 180-foot full-rigged ship that was lost during Hurricane Sandy.
- MacDowell Colony Fellowship, 2016
- Vermont Studio Center Fellowship, 2016
- Yaddo Fellowship, 2012
- Djerassi Resident Artists Program Fellowship, 2012
- Saltonstall Foundation Fellowship, 2012 and 2007
- Glenna Luschei Prairie Schooner Award, 2010
- Virginia Center for the Creative Arts Fellowship, 2006
- Shipbreaking (Anhinga, 2015)
- New Poetry from the Midwest, editors: Hannah Stephenson and Rita Mae Reese (New American Press, 2020)
- Starting Today, editors: Rachel Zucker and Arielle Greenberg (University of Iowa Press, 2010)
- Best New Poets, editor: Natasha Trethewey (University of Virginia Press, 2007)
- “Holdfast,” Academy of American Poets: Poem-a-Day, spring 2019
- “The Long Now,” Territory, summer 2018
- “24 Hours in Ohio,” GOOD, fall 2016
- “Nomad,” Academy of American Poets: Poem-a-Day, fall 2015
- “Middle Flight,” the Awl, summer 2015
- “Coal” and “Wreck,” the Literary Review, summer 2015
- “Fathom,” the Awl, winter 2015
- “Natural History,” At Length, winter 2015
- “White Matter,” Southeast Review, winter 2014
- “Messenger,” Guernica, winter 2014
- “At Home” and “At Sea,” Drunken Boat, winter 2013
- “Disturbance” Slice, fall 2012
- “Fear” and “Yellowjackets” Tin House, spring 2011
- “Falling Overboard,” Paris Review, fall 2012
Robin Beth Schaer's Poem Chosen as FeatureMay 8, 2020
Visiting Assistant Professor of Creative Writing Robin Beth Schaer's poem "Holdfast" was chosen by former U.S. Poet Laureate Tracy K. Smith for a National Poetry Month feature on the Academy of American Poets' website.
Robin Beth Schaer Receives Ohio Arts Council AwardFebruary 12, 2020
Robin Beth Schaer, visiting assistant professor of creative writing, was awarded an Ohio Arts Council Individual Excellence Award for 2020 in the poetry category.