Mass is celebrated on campus during fall and spring semesters on most Sundays at 5 p.m. in Fairchild Chapel (in Bosworth Hall). Several local priests share the presiding responsibilities. Oberlin students who are active members of the Newman Catholic community serve in other ministries including as musicians, lectors, and Eucharistic ministers. After Mass, we share a meal together. This meal is a continuation of the community’s Sunday celebration together. All are welcome. For more information, please contact the Catholic Religious Life Affiliate.
Every Friday, Hillel Shabbat Services take place at 5:30 p.m. and Shabbat Dinner takes place at 7 p.m. in the Kosher-Halal Co-op (Talcott Dining Hall). Everyone is welcome. No sign ups are required. For more information, please contact the Hillel Jewish Chaplain.
The Muslim Prayer Room, located in Wilder Hall, Room 222, is available for Muslims who wish to perform prayers throughout the day during Wilder Hall’s operational hours. The Muslim Students Association (MSA) holds a special Jumah Prayer Service there every Friday at 12:30 p.m. For more information, please contact the Muslim Religious Life Coordinator.
At Oberlin there is the same great diversity among Protestants that there is in the world at large. The Office of Religious and Spiritual Life (ORSL) supports a number of Protestant spiritual communities on campus, provides ecumenical opportunities for Christian groups to come together, and connects Protestant individuals with the many churches in the community.
- Ecumenical Christians of Oberlin (ECO), a mainline/progressive Protestant student organization, gathers for dinner, discussion, and prayer on Sundays at 6 p.m at the Multifaith Center (68 S Professor Street). The group invites a variety of speakers to lead the weekly discussions on timely topics. For more information, please contact the ECO contacts or student liaison.
- Oberlin Christian Fellowship (OCF), a Protestant student organization affiliated with InterVarsity/USA, offers weekly small group gatherings and holds large group worship meetings two Friday evenings per month at 7 p.m. For more information, please contact the OCF contact or student liaison.
- CREDO, a nondenominational Christian organization that celebrates musical excellence as a gift of the Spirit, conducts a weekly A Cappella Chapel Service (with hymns, scripture, a reflection, and prayer) in Fairchild Chapel that is open to all. For more information, please contact the CREDO advisor or student liaison.
Students who are interested in multifaith engagement and interfaith dialogue can download ISC Membership Application to participate in a bi-monthly dinner and dialogue series hosted by the Director. Currently, there are two groups, ISC (Interfaith Student Council) and FYI (First Year Initiative).
- A Cappella Chapel Service (led by CREDO):
First Wednesdays of each month, 12:15 pm, Fairchild Chapel, open to all.
- Bhakti Yoga Society,
Sundays, 7:00-8:00 pm, Fairchild Chapel.
- Chabad, Weekly Lunch & Learn,
every Wed. 12-1 Wilder 110 | Chabad, Family Style Shabbos Dinner @ Chabad House, 111 N. Pleasant St., 7:30pm.
- Christ Episcopal Church Student Lunch:
Mondays, noon, Brittingham home, 151 Forest Street.
- Eclectic Christians of Oberlin (ECO),
Dinner and Discussion, Sundays at 5-6:30 pm in the Multifaith Center.
- First Church in Oberlin (UCC) Free Student Dinner:
Wednesdays, 5:45 pm at First Church, beginning September 9.
- First-Year Initiative (FYI), Dinner & Dialogue,
alternating Thursdays, 5:30-7:30 pm
- Friends/Quaker Meeting,
Sundays at 10:30 am, Education Center at Kendal. Need a ride? Directions? Call or text before 10 am, 440-5740-9501 or 440-935-3176.
- Hillel Shabbat,
Fridays, Services 5:30 pm, Dinner 7 pm, Kosher-Halal Co-op (Talcott Hall).
- Hindu Contact:
Multifaith Chaplain David Dorsey for more information.
- Meditation and Improvisational Music group in Jacques Rutzky's Attic,
280 Elm Street Sunday 1-2:30 pm. Group meets for three consecutive weekends then regroups. Please come on time. Maximum participants=12. Email Jared Hochberg to make a reservation or get on the waiting list. Dog barks but is very friendly. Say his name, "Yoshi" and he will smell your hand. He guards the group. Group begins with meditation then a discussion section about music and how meditation can have an impact and then a short sit at the end.
- Muslim Students Association,
Weekly Prayers, Friday, 1:00 PM, Wilder Prayer Room, contact Samir Husain for additional gathering times and locations.
- Newman Catholic Community,
Mass on Sundays, Fairchild Chapel, 5:00 pm, Dinner to follow, Wilder 112.
- Oberlin Baha'i Club,
Sundays, 10:30 am, please contact Amanda Schmidt for meeting location and more information.
- Oberlin Christian Chinese Fellowship,
Fridays, 6:30 pm, International House
- Oberlin Christian Fellowship,
Thursdays at 7:30 pm in the AJLC, Hallock Auditorium
- Oberlin Meditators Group, Meditation Sessions:
Sun-Thurs at Wilder 325 5:00 pm & 8:30 pm, Sat 10-11:30 am at Lewis House (extended sit and Q&A session with Buddhist Affiliate Jacques Rutzky), tea to follow select sessions.
- Oberlin Orthodox Christian Fellowship:
Transportation to Sunday Divine Liturgy, please contact Madison Schindele. Sunday Evenings: Making of Prayer Beads for beginners and Playing Backgammon for beginners, Wilder, Room 112, 6:00 pm.-7:30 pm.