If a student believes an exception to a deadline published in the academic calendar is necessary due to circumstances beyond their control, the student must request an appeal for a one-time exception.
Students must make the request in person in the Academic Advising Resource Center/Office of the Registrar in Carnegie Building, room 113.
Policies/Guidelines Regarding Appeals
- Deadlines for registration-related activities are established by the college in accordance with faculty approved academic policy; deadlines for all course adjustments are publicized well in advance in the academic calendar. Under no circumstances will an appeal be accepted after two weeks past the deadline.
- If the appeal is approved, the student must obtain all required signatures and return to the registrar’s office within 5 working days. No appeal will be accepted after the 5 working days are expired.
- If the student wishes to drop a course (or reduce credit hours for a course) and that drop would result in the student’s registration of less than the required minimum of 3 and one-half courses/14 credits for arts and sciences students or 16 credits for conservatory/double-degree students, the registrar will refer the student to the appropriate office for consultation before granting the appeal.
- Winter-term registrations: the student may appeal the winter-term registration deadline; however, students are advised against appealing the winter-term deadline early in their academic career.
- No appeal will be accepted if the faculty member has already submitted a final grade for the student, if classes have ended for the semester, or if more than two weeks have passed since the deadline which is being appealed.
- Certain changes cannot be appealed after the deadline. Specifically, the option to change to P/NP or change back to letter grades will not be accepted after the established deadline.