- BA, Swarthmore College, 2006
- PhD, Stanford University, 2012
I am a cognitive psychologist interested in language. I teach Cognitive Psychology, Advanced Methods in Cognitive Psychology, Introductory Psychology, Statistics, and a seminar on Language and Thought. My lab investigates some of the ways that language influences cognition. One of our primary interests in how people process metaphors and use metaphors to think.
- Thibodeau, P.H., Peebles, M.M.*, Grodner, D.J., & Durgin, F.H. (In press). The Wished-For Always Wins until the Winner was Inevitable all along: Motivated Reasoning and Belief Bias Regulate Emotion during Elections. Political Psychology.
- Thibodeau, P.H., Flusberg, S.J., Glick, J.J., & Sternberg, D.A. (2013). An emergent approach to analogical inference. Connection Science, 25(1), 27-53. doi:09540091.2013.821458
- Thibodeau, P.H., & Boroditsky, L. (2013). Natural language metaphors covertly influence reasoning. PLoS ONE, 8(1): e52961. doi:10.1371/journal.- pone.0052961
- Thibodeau, P.H., & Durgin, F.H. (2011). Metaphor aptness and conventionality: A processing fluency account. Metaphor and Symbol, 26, 206-226. doi:10.1080/10926488.2011.583196
- Thibodeau, P.H., & Boroditsky, L. (2011). Metaphors we think with: The role of metaphor in reasoning. PLoS ONE, 6(2): e16782. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0016782
- Flusberg, S.J., Thibodeau, P.H., Sternberg, D.A., & Glick, J.J. (2010). A Connectionist approach to embodied conceptual metaphor. Frontiers in Psychology, 1:197. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2010.00197
- Thibodeau, P.H., & Durgin, F.H. (2008). Productive figurative communication: Conventional metaphors facilitate the comprehension of related novel metaphors. Journal of Memory and Language, 58, 2, 521-540. doi:10.1016/j.jml.2007.05.001
Paul Thibodeau's Research Featured on Podcast and NPRNovember 21, 2019
Associate Professor of Psychology Paul Thibodeau's research on word aversion was featured on the podcast Subtitle and on NPR.
Paul Thibodeau Gives Televised TalkAugust 12, 2019
Associate Professor of Psychology Paul Thibodeau gave a talk at the United States Institute of Peace on the language of violent extremism on August 6, 2019. It was nationally televised by C-SPAN.
Paul Thibodeau Research Press CoverageMay 11, 2016
Research on word aversion conducted by Assistant Professor of Psychology Paul Thibodeau has been featured in a number of notable publications, including The New York Times, New York Magazine, NPR, BBC, and Forbes. Thibodeu’s research has also been covered by various local news outlets, including Fox 8 Cleveland.