The Multicultural Resource Center (MRC) sends out an events e-mail once a week on Tuesday afternoons. The e-mail contains valuable information about upcoming events, funding sources, jobs and internships, and local and national networking opportunities such as conferences and workshops.
If you would like to be kept in the loop about what is going on as well as opportunities as they arise, please fill out this online form and we will add you to the weekly e-mail list.
If you have events, resources, and opportunities you would like to publicize, forward them on to us at email@example.com.
Trainings and Workshops
An important function of the Multicultural Resource Center is to provide educational training and workshops for faculty, staff, and students. In most cases, training and workshops are offered by request. This way we can carefully construct them to meet the specific needs of the given department, office, or group of students. In some cases, MRC collaborates with other offices such as the Ombudsperson and the Yeworkwha Belachew Center for Dialogue to provide workshops. We also sponsor and co-sponsor workshops and training by invited academic and activist facilitators during the year.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Weekly Socials and Lunches
The Multicultural Resource Center (MRC) hosts weekly socials on Wednesdays from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Socials are an informal gathering time to build community. There is always great food, friends and usually a fun theme. Past themes have ranged from celebrating heritage months to making balloon animals to playing board and trivia games. Upon request and sometimes just when we feel like having fun together more than just once a week, the MRC will host special social gatherings. Our MRC Project Runway socials were the most recent example. Faculty, staff, and students gathered at the MRC to watch the exciting Bravo reality show and to cheer on our favorite participants. People have also been rumored to meet and watch Grey’s Anatomy on occasion as well. If you have suggestions for future social gatherings please contact email@example.com.
"Lunch and TV with the MRC" is a new weekly event hosted by the MRC each Friday. Come and have lunch with the MRC staff as well as other faculty, staff, and students on Fridays between 12-1:15 p.m. in Wilder 208. Each week a different member of the staff will pick something fun to watch on TV! If you have questions about our weekly lunches or suggestions for TV viewing for the staff please contact the MRC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MRC Staff on Campus
The Multicultural Resource Center (MRC) staff prides itself on being highly visible members of the Oberlin College community. It is not unusual to see us together eating at Afrikan Heritage House or cheering at an athletic competition or taking in one of the many outstanding theater, dance, and music performances. This year we would like to be more intentional about our presence on campus as well as invite others to join in the fun. So, watch out for some fun events we are planning!
Examples of Past Events:
- MRC organized events and lectures to celebrate Latino/a Heritage Month.
- MRC cooked dinner at Third World Co-op.
- MRC attended Taste of Africa dinner at Afrikan Heritage House.
- MRC supported Women's/Men's varsity basketball—raffled prizes including highly sought after MRC paraphernalia and Athletics basketball t-shirts.
- MRC socialized at Drag Ball - does some formal and informal judging.
- MRC Coordinators attended Spring Formal.
- MRC attended Colors of Rhythm.
- MRC ate dinner at Afrikan Heritage House—actually we do this all the time so join us!
- MRC attended Dance Diaspora performances—we never miss a one!
- MRC held an end of the year gathering at the ‘Sco – MRC CCs were DJs
- MRC attended Oberlin College football games.
- MRC attended women's rugby home games—tons of fun!
- MRC took students to monthly free bowling at the College Lanes.
- MRC attended winter term Oberlin College swimming meets.
- MRC attended Souls Sessions and Open Mic Nights at Third World House.
We have left room in the schedule for others to invite us to attend events so if you want to hang out with the MRC just give us a shout at email@example.com.
MRC Study Breaks
The Multicultural Resource Center (MRC) hosts evening study breaks during both mid-term and final exam periods. There is always food, friends, and some entertaining activities to provide stress release from writing essays and studying for exams. For example, our most recent study break had great music and conversation, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and take away goodie bags full of snacks for those students to busy to hang out. Look out for our next study break. We hope to see you there.