- Visiting Assistant Professor of Religion
- PhD in religion in the Americas, University of Texas at Austin, December 2016
- MA in religion in the Americas, University of Texas at Austin, May 2013
- MA in history of religions, University of Chicago, June 2011
- BA in religion and psychology, Lehigh University, May 2004
Michael Amoruso studies religion in the Americas, with a focus on Brazil and the United States. His work broadly attends to religions, race, and movement in the Americas. His current manuscript project, Moved by the Dead, explores these themes in a vibrant devotion to suffering souls in Brazil.
Professor Amoruso teaches courses on the religious history of the United States, spirit possession, and transnational religion in the contemporary Americas.
- Charlotte W. Newcombe Dissertation Fellowship, 2015–2016
- Fulbright IIE Fellowship, 2014