International Student and Scholar Services

Graduate School

Transfer Your SEVIS Record to Graduate School

As an F-1 visa holder you are able to maintain your visa status by transferring your SEVIS record to another US institution.  In order to do that you need to apply to and be accepted at another institution, and then complete Oberlin’s SEVIS Transfer-Out Request Form , as well as the transfer in request form that your new institution is likely to provide you with.  

This is a very simple process and will save you from needing to pay the SEVIS fee again and obtain a new record. There are timing considerations if you plan to work or travel before entering your new school, so make sure to make an appointment to meet with the International Student Resource Center advisor to review the details if this is the option you are considering.