The current housing selection process includes an off-campus and an on-campus selection phases.
Students have the option of registering as individuals, in which case they will be assigned an individual housing selection time, or as a group, in which case the group will be given a group housing selection time. Students are required to be registered for classes before they are allowed to select housing.
Due to the impact of COVID-19, we have had to change the structure of housing selection and delay the process. The major changes are in relation to Village Housing selection process.
Students with 4 semesters or more who are interested in being considered for Village Housing should complete the Village Housing Selection Preference Form . We will use the housing selection lottery to place students in Village housing in order of their randomized lottery numbers. If we get to your appointment time and all of your options are gone, we will contact you to see if you are interested in other options. Village placements will go out at a date to be announced.
Identity-Based, Language, Living-Learning, and Theme Community first round offers will go out on a date to be announced and will continue until all of the spaces are filled. If you accept an offer this will be your assignment for the Fall 2020 term.
Students going through the residence hall general housing selection process will receive their housing selection appointment time at a time to be announced.
The summer wait list to apply for a room change for Fall 2020 will open at the conclusion of the housing selection process.
Online Housing Selection Guides
- Selecting Traditional Housing as an Individual
- Selecting Traditional Housing as a Group
- How to Select a Housing Proxy
Important Points to Note
- Priority for housing selection is based on a student’s semesters in residence.
- Semesters in residence is projected for the fall semester and is listed in a number from 1 through 10 on your housing registration form.
- The semesters in residence projection is based on the number of semesters you have completed at Oberlin, including being enrolled but not in residence (ENR), and any approved academic leaves of absence and verified semesters at previous institutions for transfer students.
- Personal Leaves of Absence and Medical Leaves of Absence do not count toward your total semesters in residence.
- Appointments for housing selection will be first sorted by the individual’s or the group’s averaged semesters in residence and then by a random lottery number assignment within these average semesters in residence.
- Students may enter the process as an individual or as a group.
- Students select from the housing available at the time of their appointment.
- If you register for housing as a group, you are not obligated to room with the other members of the group. All members of the group will have the same housing selection appointment time but at that appointment time the group members are able to split up and select from the available housing for which they are eligible.
- If you registered for housing as an individual but you have decided you want to join a group or form a group with another individual all the members involved will be assigned a different housing appointment time. All the members involved must visit the ResEd Office at the latest of the assigned appointment times to have your new group put into the system by a ResEd Administrator.
- Students who wish to live in Village Housing must have four or more semesters in residence.
- If an individual applies late, they will be moved just below their average semesters in residence prior to having the random number assigned.
- If a member of a group applies late, the group will be moved just below their average semesters in residence prior to having their random number assigned.
- If a student does not complete the online General Housing and Dining Registration then they will be moved to the very end of housing selection and will not be included in other student's requested groupings.
- Please Note: Supplemental Identity-Based, Language, Living-Learning, and Theme applications or the OSCA Lottery are not a substitute for completing the General Application.
- Students who wish to live in a Idetity-Based, Language, Living Learning, or Theme Community must complete the supplemental application for the community of interest to be considered for a space.
- Selections will occur after Village Housing Selection. If a student selects a space in Village Housing, they will be assigned to that space and will forego selection for these communities.
- Students with less than five semesters in residence who accept their offer are removed from the General Housing Lottery and the space they accept is their assignment for the 2020-2021 Academic Year.
- Students who wish to live off-campus must have been selected for off-campus housing through the process in the fall and must have accepted the offer. Otherwise students need to request and qualify for an exemption or are welcome to indicate their interest in off-campus housing on the summer housing waitlist once it opens up after housing selection.
- Village Housing candidates must complete an orientation session within the first three weeks of the start of the semester in order to maintain eligibility.
- It allows students to select from the widest range of inventory available to them at the time of their appointment.
- It requires that the majority of students complete their housing selection during a single appointment time.
- It allows for the majority of students to leave their appointment with a specified assignment.