With the end of the spring semester quickly approaching, we would like to take this opportunity to provide you with essential checkout information.
Please follow these directions to avoid charges and fines that can result from checking out improperly.
College Housing Information
All college housing closes at 9 a.m. on Friday, May 14 . All residents (except for graduating seniors, students approved to stay, and students enrolled for summer 2021 term who are staying between terms) must complete their checkouts 24 hours after their last exam or by 9 a.m. on Friday, May 14 (whichever comes first). The halls will be closed for the term.
Failure to vacate college housing by 9 a.m. will result in a $50 per hour fine. Make sure your travel plans coincide with this deadline. Once you check out of your room, you must leave the building. ID cards and all other access will be turned off at 9 a.m., no exceptions.
All students must complete the online Express Checkout Form. In village housing, residents will receive an additional letter that explains Village-specific procedures.
All students must complete the online Express Checkout Form.
- No specific appointment time is needed for an express checkout. Instead, students need to complete the online Express Checkout Form.
- College staff will then assess each unit for damages. Students are able to contest damage charges as long as they checkout properly and follow the appeal process.
Before you check out you must complete the following:
- Individual bedrooms and the common area(s) must be cleaned including floor, closets, drawers, and furniture surfaces. Properly dispose of trash, sweep, vacuum, and dust.
- The walls and ceiling must be clean of all tape, marks, hooks, adhesive and tacks.
- Return furniture to original arrangement/configuration. (All beds must be unbunked, and in lowest position off the floor.)
- Remove all personal belongings from the room. You may not leave any items on campus. No items may be stored on campus.
Failure to check out by the deadline waives your ability to contest any fees and incurs a $50 improper check out fee. In addition, any damage found in the room will automatically be charged to you.
Professional staff members and facilities staff will each enter the units to assess the space. All residents will receive written documentation of any charges assessed through Oberlin email.
Appeals of Residential Education checkout charges must be received within 30 days of billing. The criteria upon which appeals may be based are:
- new information is available that was not available at the time charges were assessed
- charges were incorrectly assessed
1. Complete the Checkout Charge Appeal Form . The request for an appeal must include a detailed rationale that addresses one or all of the criteria.
2. An Assistant Director of Residential Education will begin investigating the appeal within five business days of receipt.
3. If the charges are not able to be appealed, students will be notified and the appeal process will end at this point.
4. If the charges are able to be appealed, students will be notified of the outcome of the appeal. Notification will occur within three weeks of receipt.
5. If the appeal is denied, a final appeal based on the criteria above may be made to the Director of Residential Education (or designee) within 5 business days of the initial decision. The determination of the Director of Residential Education (or designee) is final.
Graduating seniors need to be checked out by 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 15th. All students will need to complete the Express Checkout process. This is the same process that applies to non-graduating students, the only difference is the date. Failure to vacate College Housing by 10 a.m. will result in a $50 per hour fine. Make sure your travel plans coincide with this deadline. Once you check out of your room, you must leave the building. ID cards and all other access will be turned off at 10 a.m.
Students enrolled for the summer 2021 term or approved stay
All students approved to stay between the spring and summer terms need to be ready to relocate residence buildings by 9 a.m., Friday, May 14th. Be prepared to move as we will be contacting you as soon as your summer assignment is available.
Students staying between spring and summer term will have varying checkout times. All students will need to complete the Express Checkout process by their assigned checkout time. Failure to vacate College Housing by the assigned time will result in a $50 per hour fine.Students who plan to leave campus between spring and summer terms and are enrolled for the summer term must completely vacate their rooms prior to leaving campus.
Note: There will be no on campus storage option available for students.
During the week between the spring and summer term, all College Housing is prepped and cleaned for the summer term. We will be working the week between spring and summer terms to prepare the campus for the summer term. We have a quick turnover so in order for us to be able prepare all of the spaces for the next Obies, we appreciate your cooperation with this process. Only graduating seniors and students approved to stay are allowed to reside in designated College Housing. No guests are permitted.