With the end of the academic year quickly approaching, we would like to take this opportunity to provide you with essential checkout information.
Please follow these directions to avoid substantial charges and fines that can result from checking out improperly.
College Housing Information
All college housing closes at 9 a.m. on Monday, May 21st (the Monday immediately after finals end). All residents (except for graduating seniors and approved commencement workers/performers) must complete their checkouts by 9 a.m. The halls will be closed for the academic year. Failure to vacate college housing by 9 a.m. will result in a $50 per hour fine. Make sure your travel plans coincide with this deadline. Once you check out of your room, you must leave the building. ID cards and all other access will be turned off at 9 a.m., no exceptions.
Students unable to arrange transportation by the 9 a.m., Monday, May 21, should go to the Hotel at Oberlin to wait for their rides.
All students (except for graduating seniors or commencement workers/performers) must complete an express checkout envelope or card and place it with their room key (when applicable) in a designated return box. In village housing residents will receive an additional letter that explains Village-specific procedures.
Residence Halls (all Co-ops, Program Houses and Traditional Halls)
All students must complete an express checkout envelope or card and place it in a designated return box.
- No specific appointment time is needed for an express checkout. Instead, students (living in a keyed building) will be able to place their key(s) in an Express Checkout Envelope. Keys can be dropped off at the 1) office of at Residential Education during business hours, 2) in the key drop box located in the Biggs Entrance hallway of Stevenson Hall, 3) in the key drop box located in your residence hall, or 4) at the office of Campus Safety at any time.
- If you have lost the key to your space, please complete the Express Checkout Envelope and write Lost Key on the envelope.
- If you are living in a key-less building, you need to complete the express checkout card and drop the card off at the places listed above.
- College staff will collect the keys and then assess each unit for damages. Students do not waive their right to contest damage charges as long as they vacate before their checkout deadline and follow the appropriate appeal procedure.
Before you check out you must complete the following:
- Individual bedrooms and the common area(s) must be cleaned including floor, closets, drawers, and furniture surfaces. Properly dispose of trash; sweep/vacuum.
- The walls and ceiling must be clean of all tape, marks, hooks, adhesive and tacks.
- Return furniture to original arrangement/configuration. (All beds must be unbunked, and in lowest position off the floor.)
- Remove all personal belongings from the room.
Failure to check out by the deadline waives your ability to contest any fees and incurs a $50 improper check out fee, plus any damage found in the room will automatically be charged to you.
The student staff members will not be the only college staff to enter the room to assess for damages. Professional staff members and facilities staff will each enter the units to assess the space. All residents will receive written documentation of any charges assessed through Oberlin email.
Appeals of Residential Education checkout charges must be received within 30 days of billing. The criteria upon which appeals may be based are:
- new information is available that was not available at the time charges were assessed
- charges were incorrectly assessed
Appealing a Charge From Residential Education
1. Complete the Check-Out Charge Appeal Form . The request for an appeal must include a detailed rationale that addresses one or all of the criteria.
2. An Assistant Director of Residential Education will begin investigating the appeal within five business days of receipt.
3. If the charges are not able to be appealed, students will be notified and the appeal process will end at this point.
4. If the charges are able to be appealed, students will be notified of the outcome of the appeal. Notification will occur within three weeks of receipt.
5. If the appeal is denied, a final appeal based on the criteria above may be made to the Director of Residential Education (or designee) within 5 business days of the initial decision. The determination of the Director of Residential Education (or designee) is final.
Graduating Seniors & Commencement Workers/Performers
Graduating seniors need to be checked out by 10 a.m. on Tuesday, May 28th (the Tuesday immediately following Commencement). All students will need to complete the Express Check-Out process. This is the same process that applies to underclassmen, the only difference is the date. Failure to vacate College Housing by 10 a.m. will result in a $50 per hour fine. Make sure your travel plans coincide with this deadline. Once you check out of your room, you must leave the building. ID cards and all other access will be turned off at 10 a.m.
All Commencement workers/performers need to be ready to relocate residence buildings by 9 a.m., Monday, May 21st, (the Monday immediately following the end of finals). You should be packing, cleaning, and storing along the same time as regular departing students. More information is provided when commencement workers/performers are hired for their positions.
Workers and performers will have varying checkout times, though most will be required to checkout by 4 p.m. on the Monday of Commencement, May 28th. All students will need to complete the Express Check-Out process by their assigned checkout time. Failure to vacate College Housing by the assigned time will result in a $50 per hour fine.
Note: There will be no special or additional storage hours for workers/performers.
During the week between the end of finals and the beginning of Commencement Weekend, all College Housing is prepped and cleaned for Commencement/Alumni weekend. Only graduating Seniors and Commencement Workers/Performers are allowed to reside in designated College Housing. No guests are permitted.