- Assistant Professor of German Language and Literatures
- AB, Oberlin College, 2004
- MA, University of Virginia, 2007
- PhD, University of Virginia, 2013
- German Jewish Literature and Thought
- Lyric Poetry
- Religion, Politics and Aesthetics
- Utopian and Science Fiction Studies
- Yiddish Literature
Gabriel Cooper Gives Lecture, Publishes ArticleAugust 28, 2015
Assistant Professor of German Gabriel Cooper delivered the invited lecture "Klezmermusik in den deutschsprachigen Ländern" (Klezmer music in German-speaking countries) on August 6 at Middlebury College's German language school. Cooper addressed approximately 100 students and faculty, including several Oberlin students studying the German language at Middlebury this summer.
Cooper also recently published the article Die lustige Globalisierung des Metals und seine zappendustere Zukunft bei der Zeichentrickserie Metalocalypse (The Funny Globalization of Metal and Its Pitch-Black Future in the Animated Series Metalocalypse). The article analyzes the portrayal of heavy metal and globalization in the pilot episode of Metalocalypse, as well as the series' immanent critique of global capitalism.