This interactive workshop, "Allies of Code-Meshers and Translingual Writers: Who? How? And Why?," explores Joni L. Jones’ speech “6 Rules for Allies” as pedagogical efforts for linguistic inclusivity. Vershawn Ashanti Young, associate professor at the University of Waterloo, will lead the session.
The goal of the workshop is to explore participants’ individual responsibilities /possibilities as allies to students in writing and other classes. The 6 Rules for Allies Are:
1) Being Liberal Is Not A Sufficient Position;
2) Be Loud And Crazy So Black Folks Won’t Have To;
3) Patience Is Not A Political Strategy;
4) Recognize the New Racism, the New Sexism, the Old Homophobia;
5) Welcome Opportunities to Examine Your Racism, Sexism, Homophobia; and
6) Support Alternative Possibilities
Interested faculty should RSVP to Laurie McMillin by Oct. 23.