- Thursday, March 21, 2019
- Friday, March 22, 2019
- Monday, March 25, 2019
- Wednesday, March 27, 2019
- Friday, March 29, 2019
- Sunday, March 31, 2019 to Monday, April 1, 2019
- Tuesday, April 2, 2019
- Thursday, April 4, 2019
- Saturday, April 6, 2019
- Thursday, April 11, 2019 to Friday, April 12, 2019
- Sunday, April 14, 2019 to Monday, April 15, 2019
- Wednesday, April 17, 2019 to Thursday, April 18, 2019
- Friday, April 19, 2019
The OCOPE Solidarity Committee is pleased to present SOLIDARITY FOREVER: Labor & Learning, a display to be housed in the display cases by Azariah's Cafe.
The display will explore this theme by examining the relationship between labor, unionism, education, and social change through a variety of facets.
Book covers, images, scans from the Oberlin College Archives, and news headlines/infographics accompanying descriptive captions will lead viewers through the history of rich connectivity, including:
- Insights into the controversial 'Labor schools' that enrolled thousands of motivated workers, many of them focused on women's rights/suffrage and the fight for collective bargaining rights, and found themselves attacked politically and socially for their progressive stance on social issues of the day
- The history (including recent history) of teachers’ strikes, largely organized through union activity, advocating not just for better working conditions for teachers but better learning conditions in their classrooms
- The existence of unions on college and university campuses (like OCOPE!) which provide job security and secure the rights and dignity for an incredible variety of working people. They have acted as the model for faculty & adjunct movements across the nation.
In addition to the display, a large selection of books on the subject of this intersection will be available to browse and check out for further reading. We hope that you visit and enjoy!
Display available through April 19 when the library is open.