Faculty and staff from units across the college and the conservatory formed seven learning communities, self-education and implementation teams, focused on inclusive excellence at Oberlin. They’ve brainstormed, self educated, re-imagined, and in some cases made plans for action and implementation to promote persistence and success of all students in STEM.
In this final meeting for the semester, the communities will come together for a final report.
We will learn about events, programs, and initiatives that already exist, share resources that were particularly helpful in framing conversations about inclusive excellence, present opportunities to collaborate on new projects, and identify areas for further exploration.
This event is open to all faculty, staff, and community partners at Oberlin regardless of participation in the semester-long groups.
The topics covered by the communities included:
- Building student community and sense of belonging
- Collaborations and connections within Oberlin
- Connecting to alumni and town/community
- Help and incentives towards inclusive practices
- Advising and capturing student interest
- Teaching and classroom practices
Listening to students