Appeals and grievances are intended for different types of concerns.

A student may file an appeal for reconsideration of an accommodation and go through an informal or formal process. For an informal appeal, a conversation with the appropriate Disability Resources staff is required. For a formal appeal, a written explanation is required.

Grievance procedures are for claims of discrimination based on disability. A student who used the appeals process is not prohibited from filing a grievance. Grievances can be filed internally, using guidance provided by the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.

Grievances for claims of discrimination based on disability can be filed externally as well through the Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights.

The appeals process is a request for reconsideration of an accommodation request. We have outlined informal and formal procedures for this process in our Disability Appeals Procedure .

Oberlin College’s Policy on Discrimination and Harassment is available through the Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. On the office website, you also will find information about procedures for filing a complaint.

In most cases, class attendance is critical to a student’s mastery of the knowledge and skills that are taught in a specific course. Therefore, students are expected to attend class and to adhere to the specific attendance policy for each class as established by the course instructor.

If a qualified student with a disability believes it may not be possible to abide by the attendance policy due to disability-related reasons, the student should contact Disability Resources at the beginning of the semester, or as soon as possible after the need for an exception arises, to discuss the potential need for accommodation.

The Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights hears complaints regarding enforcement of laws, including Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability.

Students may call the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) at 800-421-3481 to report discrimination on the basis of race, sex, disability, etc. The Office of Civil Rights is also available to provide information regarding civil rights compliance programs and procedures for filing discrimination complaints and to ensure access to civil rights regulatory and policy documents.