Center for Intercultural Engagement
Welcome from Mark Sapara, Assistant Vice President and Dean for Intercultural Engagement
Welcome Class of 2026! The Center for Intercultural Engagement houses several offices that you may find helpful during your Oberlin journey. The Multicultural Resource Commons, the Office of Disability and Access, the Office of Spirituality and Dialogue, and International Student and Scholar Services offer welcoming spaces designed to create a spirit of inclusion and belonging on campus. Whether you identify with one, all, or none of our support areas, we would love to get to know you as you make this exciting transition.
Be on the lookout for events and opportunities posted in the daily Campus Digest and promoted on social media and our website. Programs and services are free! Whether you join a Dialogue Group, attend a social event, or just want a place to hang out, stop on by. The MRC and I-Triple S are located on the second floor of Wilder, Room 208. ODA and OSD are housed in the Mudd Center (Library) on the 2nd and 4th floors, respectively.
When you make connections and build relationships early on, you’ll reap the benefits during the rest of your college experience!
See you soon!
Assistant Vice President and Dean for Intercultural Engagement
Welcome from the Multi-Cultural Resource Center
Written by Scott Hwang, Assistant Dean of Students and Director of the Multicultural Resource Center
The Multicultural Resource Commons (MRC) is about to enter a new and exciting phase of expansion. We are in the process of hiring several new full time staff members to help support.
Oberlin students from marginalized and underrepresented social identities. Plans are underway to open a newly renovated space in the Fall of 2023, but in the meantime please stop by and connect with us in the MRC common space located in Wilder 212 (M-F 8:30am-4:30pm). This space is designed for students no matter what your social identities are, to have a physical space on campus to be able to freely express those identities, connect with other students who may have similar social identities to you, socialize, study, eat, and connect with your peers. The MRC Common space is also available for reservation for various student clubs and organizations after business hours.
Please join us for light refreshments on Friday, September 2, 2022, from 2:30pm-4:40pm for an open house. All new staff along with student leaders will be present to connect and meet during this time.
The Office of Spirituality and Dialogue Welcomes New Students!
Written by David Dorsey, Multi-faith Chaplain and Director of the Office of Spirituality and Dialogue
Class of 2026! It is with great excitement that we welcome you and your family to Oberlin!
The Office of Spirituality and Dialogue (OSD) is a multifaith resource within the Center of Intercultural Engagement (CIE) that supports students in their theistic and non-theistic explorations and expressions, both on the campus and in the larger community. In addition, we offer opportunities to engage in dialogue across differences.
Watch for communications coming to you from OSD inviting you to:
- Participate in the start of year Barefoot Dialogue All-Call, a night of dinner & dialogue giving first year students a no-commitment sample of what is available in student-facilitated dialogue on campus.
- Join in the Fall Multifaith Celebration, a night to celebrate traditions that are familiar and important while learning more about the religious and philosophical commitments of your peers.
- Attend small gatherings that study a range of issues/topics unique to the first- year experience.
- Respond to social justice commitments through action.
- Serve as a representative on the Interfaith Student Council+ (ISC plus).
- Stand by friends and classmates at vigils and event-markers that speak to significant moments on campus, across the nation, and in our world.
- Upon your arrival, we will join our partners in the Center for Intercultural Engagement in welcoming you to campus, sending you calendars, schedules, and invitations. Watch for OSD!
We look forward to your arrival, and enjoy the rest of your summer!