Competitors must offer a complete concerto and 40 minutes or more of recital repertoire as listed below.
SEMIFINALS ROUND I
SATURDAY, JULY 18 to SUNDAY, JULY 19
FIRST ROUND | Approximately 30 Pianists - 30 minutes duration
The competitors will choose the order and pieces to be performed for this round. You must perform the two required pieces for this round listed below, plus one or more works of your choice for 30-minutes duration.
- The first movement of a sonata by Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, or Schubert. This may be the same piece submitted with your application
- One of the following lyrical pieces:
MENDELSSOHN - Songs Without Words:
Op. 19, No. 1 in E Major, Op. 38, No.6 in A-flat Major, Op. 62, No. 1 in G Major, Op. 85, No. 4 in D Major
Prelude Op. 45, or Nocturne (your choice)
Romance, Op. 28, No. 2 in F# Major
SEMIFINALS ROUND II
MONDAY, JULY 20
Second-round competitors will be announced in the evening after the completion of the First Round. The judges will choose the order and repertoire performed for the second round for 15 minutes duration.
TUESDAY, JULY 21
An entire concerto selected by each competitor from the list below will be performed with piano accompaniment. The Cooper Competition will provide experienced piano accompanists to all concerto-round candidates for a studio rehearsal. This rehearsal time will be the length of the concerto plus 30-minutes. Any other accompanists are not permitted. Approximately 10 pianists will advance to this round.
Cooper Competition Piano Concerto List:
- Beethoven: Concerto No. 1
- Beethoven: Concerto No. 2
- Beethoven: Concerto No. 3
- Beethoven: Concerto No. 4
- Beethoven: Concerto No. 5
- Brahms: Concerto No. 1
- Brahms: Concerto No. 2
- Chopin: Concerto No. 1
- Chopin: Concerto No. 2
- Grieg Piano Concerto
- Liszt: Concerto No. 1
- Mozart: K466
- Mozart: K488
- Prokofiev: Concerto No. 1
- Prokofiev: Concerto No. 3
- Rachmaninoff: Concerto No. 1
- Rachmaninoff: Concerto No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Concerto No. 3
- Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
- Saint-Saens: Concerto No. 2
- Schumann: Concerto
- Tchaikovsky: Concerto No. 1
WEDNESDAY, JULY 22
Six finalists will perform for about 30 minutes each in a program selected by the judges. At the conclusion of this round, prizes for fourth, fifth, and sixth place will be announced. This round will be broadcast on WCLV 104.9 FM at 7 p.m. on Thursday, July 23, 2020.
The recital round repertoire will be selected from the works in the semifinal rounds.
FRIDAY, JULY 24
The three remaining finalists will perform their complete concerti with The Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall. At the conclusion of this round, prizes for first, second, and third place will be awarded. This round will be broadcast live on WCLV 104.9 FM.