At Oberlin, we are committed to maintaining the health and safety of our community while fulfilling our mission to provide a high quality education to our students. With guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other public health entities, Oberlin adjusts the ObieSafe protocols. As we prepare to start the new academic year, your health and wellbeing remain our top priority. We are a well-vaccinated community with extremely high percentages of our faculty, staff, and students being fully vaccinated. We believe we can continue to be safe and provide a transformative educational experience by applying a prudent combination of protocols.
Beginning of Fall Semester and Arrival Protocols
The following guidelines will be in place during the move-in period and the beginning of the semester.
- Masks will be required indoors for students, staff, and faculty from August 28 through September 10 to reduce the potential impact of the large migration to campus.
- During this period, meals will be provided in a “grab and go” format in the dining areas.
- Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to be particularly mindful of maintaining social distance of 6 feet whenever possible.
- For conservatory students and student athletes, individuals are allowed to remove their masks for certain educational and other pre-approved activities. Additional information regarding conservatory-specific COVID guidelines can be found here.
- All faculty, staff, and students must be fully vaccinated or have received an approved exemption.
- Students may request an exemption by submitting this form: Student COVID-19 Immunization Exemption Request.
- Faculty and staff may request an exemption by submitting this form: Faculty/Staff COVID-19 Immunization Exemption Request.
Fall Semester Protocols
For the rest of the fall semester, the following ObieSafe guidelines will be applied beginning September 11. Of course, if circumstances require, these protocols will be adjusted.
- Indoor masking will be voluntary. Please respect the wishes of others who decide to wear a mask indoors.
- If and when requested to wear a mask by another member of the Oberlin community with whom you are interacting, please comply.
- Oberlin will monitor public health COVID alerts. When public health departments determine that Lorain County is at the highest risk level for COVID, ObieSafe will alert the campus community and may alter masking protocols.
- Community-wide testing will not be required. For people with symptoms, or those who believe they were exposed, rapid and PCR testing will be available throughout the academic year at Student Health Services or other designated locations.
- Symptomatic testing will take place at Hales Gym on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between 8:30 am and 12:30 pm and by appointment only. Please send a text to (440) 308-6193 to make an appointment.
- Asymptomatic testing will take place at the Student Health Center. Please call Student Health Services at (440) 775-8180 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for a rapid test.
- After hours and weekends, please call Campus Safety at (440) 775-8444 to pick up a self-administering test kit.
- Roommates who test positive will isolate together.
- If only one roommate tests positive, healthy roommates should wear a mask and maintain social distance as much as possible.
- The Hotel at Oberlin has returned to normal operations and will no longer be used for student housing because of COVID.
- Students (such as those who are immune-compromised) who have a relevant accommodation through the Office for Disability and Access whose roommate tests positive will be considered for temporary housing, if it is available.
Quarantine, Isolation, and Meals
- Oberlin follows guidance from the CDC as well as from Lorain County Public Health.
- Students may complete isolation in their rooms five days after symptoms surface, if symptoms are resolving, and if no fever is present for 24 hours without fever-reducing medication. Students should continue to wear a mask around others and utilize “grab-and-go” meals for five additional days.
- Positive test results must be reported to ObieSafe by emailing email@example.com.
- Students will be isolated within their residential spaces. While in isolation, students should always wear a mask in the presence of others, and should not attend classes, participate in athletic practices or events, or other extracurricular activities. Students should not gather with friends, or eat in the dining hall.
- While in isolation, students may enter the building of a dining hall to pick up grab-and-go meals, while remaining masked. Students who live on campus and are too ill to pick up their own meals may text Dining Services at (440) 577-5304 to arrange for a meal to be delivered to your dorm.
Get in touch with the ObieSafe team
Have something to share in a future issue of ObieSafe? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with story ideas or information you’d like to have considered for publication.