Outstanding students may participate in the Honors Program in geology. Honors students carry out a program of independent geological research under the supervision of an individual faculty member during their senior year. Any student interested in doing honors research should discuss this with a member of the department in their junior year. 

To be accepted into the Honors Program, a student must have a GPA of 3.10 or higher in their geology coursework and submit a written proposal to the department. 

Geology several avenues for independent research in addition to the Honors Program. We encourage majors to contact faculty about opportunities to participate in their summer field projects. Research also can be conducted for credit through such courses as GEOL 199 Independent Study in Geology and GEOL 501 Research in Geology (GEOL 501).

The department is a member of the Keck Geology Consortium, which provides students with summer research opportunities that are continued during semester-long or yearlong GEOL 501 Research in Geology or GEOL 503 Honors. However, these courses do not provide major credit.