- John G. W. Cowles Director, AMAM
Andria Derstine Receives FellowshipMay 23, 2018
Andria Derstine, John G. W. Cowles director of Allen Memorial Art Museum, received an Affiliated Fellowship from the Samuel H. Kress Foundation. During her fellowship, Derstine will focus on researching training and instruction techniques at the French Academy in Rome and the Accademia di San Luca in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Derstine, Evans Receive Heritage Guardian AwardApril 18, 2017
Andria Derstine, director of the Allen Memorial Art Museum, and Leo Evans, assistant director of the college's Office of Facilities Planning and Construction, received Oberlin Heritage Center's Heritage Guardian Award for conservation work on the King Sculpture Court's ceiling and clerestory inside the Allen Memorial Art Museum. The ceiling and its 100 coffered decorations were a part of architect Cass Gilbert's original plan for the museum building when it opened in 1917. The conservation work included a nearly year-long, full-scale cleaning of the ceiling by ICA-Art Conservation, along with the installation of advanced lighting systems.
Andria Derstine Publishes EssayNovember 19, 2014
Andria Derstine, the John G. W. Cowles Director at the Allen Memorial Art Museum, recently published the essay “Cultural Policy and the Palace: The French Academy in Rome”, in the volume Display of Art in the Roman Palace, 1550-1750, edited by Gail Feigenbaum (OC 1972) with Francesco Freddolini, and published by The Getty Research Institute. She additionally authored a catalogue entry on a painting at the Allen Memorial Art Museum, “Madonna and Child with Saint Francis, ca. 1285”, which has just appeared in the volume Sanctity Pictured: The Art of the Dominican and Franciscan Orders in Renaissance Italy, edited by Trinita Kennedy and published by the Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville, with Philip Wilson Publishers, London. The AMAM painting is currently on view in an exhibition of the same title, along with another work from the AMAM collection, a manuscript leaf from a gradual that depicts the translation of the body of St. Dominic.