The Trustee Search Committee of the Oberlin Alumni Association is seeking nominations for candidates for future elections for Oberlin’s Board of Trustees. Alumni elect six of Oberlin’s 29 to 37 trustees. Each spring, one trustee is elected by alumni to serve a four-year term.
Criteria for Alumni-Elected Trustees
The candidate must hold an Oberlin College degree, earned or honorary, and must be able to serve a full four-year term on the Board of Trustees. Terms begin July 1 of the year elected.
Candidates also should:
- understand and be dedicated to Oberlin’s ideals, objectives, and institutional traditions;
- support the unique partnership between the College of Arts and Sciences and the Conservatory of Music;
- be committed to the value of a liberal education in arts and sciences in a complex and changing world and to the training of professional musicians at the undergraduate level;
- possess a notable reputation in their profession or area of endeavor;
- have the expertise and competence to make sound decisions for the College;
- demonstrate a readiness to make a significant commitment of time and to make available or have access to resources—human, financial, and material—on behalf of Oberlin during tenure on the Board;
- enhance the diversity of perspectives represented on the Board;
- be persons whose presence contributes to a strong, working Board of Trustees;
- have a record of service and financial support for Oberlin College; and
- be willing to represent alumni interests and concerns in Board deliberations.
Alumni-elected trustees technically do not represent and are not accountable to the Alumni Association. However, they serve as an avenue for alumni concerns to be conveyed to the Board of Trustees and are asked to report regularly to the Association.
If you choose to nominate someone, use the form below. We will research the nominee’s qualifications. It is not necessary to secure the proposed candidate’s permission in advance. As we are building a pool of candidates for the future, we encourage nominations at any time and appreciate your help.