Visiting an academic classroom is a great way to experience what it might be like as a student at Oberlin College. If your schedule permits, try to sit in on more than one class in any area of study that piques your interest.
Our classes typically meet for 50 minutes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and for 75 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Plan to spend the entire time in the class of your choice.
Before your visit, it’s important that you contact the professor in advance to request permission to observe the class. Review the class schedule for faculty names and look up the faculty member’s contact information by searching the College of Arts and Sciences faculty list.
Courses that are at the 100 and 200 level best accommodate visitors. Selecting classes offered in the same or adjacent building may optimize the number of classes you can attend during your visit.
All classes in studio art, theater, dance, creative writing and the Conservatory of Music require prior approval before a classroom visit. Call the instructors directly or call the academic departments:
- Studio Art Program — (440) 775-8181
- Department of Theater — (440) 775-8154
- Department of Dance — (440) 775-8958
- Creative Writing Program — (440) 775-6567
- Conservatory of Music — (440) 775-8413
Guidelines for Classroom Visits
- Due to our small class sizes and the expected number of visitors, we ask that only prospective students attend classes.
- Arrive at the classroom at least 10-15 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- Introduce yourself to the professor and request permission to observe the class if prior arrangements weren’t made.
- Stay for the duration of the class.
- If you are late, do not enter the classroom once it has begun.
- Some classes may not be able to accommodate visitors. Be prepared with another class option.
- If you want to observe an advanced class (300 or 400 level), you must contact the professor in advance.
- If you are interested in a class that will not be meeting during your campus visit, contact the professor and arrange for an appointment.