- Associate Professor of Jewish Studies and Religion
- Director, Jewish Studies Program
- Bachelor of Arts, Univ California Los Angeles, 1989
- Master of Arts, University California Berkeley, 1996
- Doctor of Philosophy, University California Berkeley, 2001
Abraham Socher (Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 2001) is a scholar of Jewish thought, particularly in the late medieval and early modern periods. His first book, The Radical Enlightenment of Solomon Maimon: Judaism, Heresy and Philosophy (Stanford University Press, 2006), was an intellectual biography of the 18th Century philosopher. In addition to his contributions to scholarly volumes and journals, he has published essays on topics from baseball to Vladimir Nabokov in The Chronicle of Higher Education, Commentary Magazine, The Times Literary Supplement (TLS) and elsewhere. Mr. Socher is also the editor of the Jewish Review of Books, which was launched in 2010.