Questions...with Aaron Mucciolo
weeks column is a bit short since the Perspectives section
recieved a bunch of letters, and the Review was small because theres
no news. Clearly, the solution is to exile all letter writers, then
write an article about it.
Okay, Im not funny this week...
So, within this space, here now, once and for all, is the answer
to that question which has held you all in such suspense for so
written on those plaques on the rocks in Tappan square?
The two boulders on the south edge of Tappan are so covered by layers
of paint advertising shows and birthdays its doubtful anyone
has been able to read their plaques in the past 40 years. Fortunately,
the College Archives were prepared for such an eventuality.
The boulder by the fire pit, across from the Conservatory, is the
boulder of the class of 1898. Its plaque reads: Glacial
boulder of granitoid gneiss from eastern Canada, excavated from
10 feet below the surface of the northwest corner of Professor and
Morgan Streets and placed here by the class of 98 during the
night of Dec. 3 1897. Where punctuation goes in that sentence,
or how the alums dragged that boulder there in the first place,
is anyones guess.
The other boulder, across from Gibsons, is known as the Founders
boulder and reads: In memory of John J. Shipherd and Philo
P. Stewart. Dedicated June 17, 1933.
Want to know more about these spray-painted monoliths (yes, there
is more to know)? The July 1933 Alumni Magazine has an article on
the Founders boulder, and the 1899 Hi-O-Hi yearbook, and the
December 37 and March 54 Alumni mags all cover the other.
Yay College Archives! Thanks especially to Melissa Gottwald who
postponed going home to answer this pointless question.
questions mean more answers. Email aaron.mucciolo @oberlin.edu or
write to Mooch, c/o The Review, Wilder Box 90, Oberlin OH, 44074.