the Review is the paper of record for the College, it sometime seems
that no one recorded the Review's history. We're trying to rectify
that with a little help from archives and the memories of our alumni.
If you have factual information you would like to contribute, please
email the Long Term Manager at email@example.com
April 1,1874 - C. N. Jones establishes the Oberlin College Review.
"A semi-monthly journal devoted to the interests of Oberlin
College." It was a two column 9x11 inch paper and supported
by the Union Library Association.
24, 1875 - Oberlin College Review is shortened to Oberlin Review
with the second volume. The first advertisements appear on the back
page. The staff has grown from one person to eight on the masthead
by this time.
Oberlin Review becomes a weekly publication (sometime between 1874
and 1889 it moved from semi-monthly to bi-weekly) under W.H. Wilson
and moves to magazine format.
Clark B. Firestone was editor in chief.
Oberlin Review ceases to exist as a literary journal and moves to
news writing. The "Oberlin Review Monthly", a spin off
of the Oberlin Review, takes the position as literary journal.
19, 1911- The last bi-weekly paper is produced and on the 25 it
begins its semi-weekly publishing schedule.
The Oberlin Review has its first woman editor.
The newspaper goes to broadsheet.
Editors add the United Press Daily Service to the Review offerings.
The Review makes one of its first style-guides.
4, 1932- The Review moves to new headquarters in the Grill Block,
13 S. Main.
26, 1934- The Review celebrates its renovation of its headquarters.
The Review releases, for its 65th birthday, a short history of the
paper which notes that in 65 years there were 75 editors in chief
- 17 journalists, 14 businessmen, 13 teachers or administrators,
13 lawyers, 5 ministers, 3 social workers, 2 in government, 1 drowned
and 1 suicide.
Another styleguide for the Review is published.
The Review staff moves its offices behind Fazio food store.
A Review staff member appropriates $10,000 of Review funds for personal
use and the College never presses charges. This causes the Review
to go into debt for almost 10 years. Because of debt faculty members
no longer received free copies of the newspaper.
The 7th female editor-in-chief is named. There have been 104 editors-in-chief
up to this point.
As the Review climbs out of debt, faculty members get newspaper
for free again.
Review receives $22,000 for operating costs from the Student Finance
15, 1972- The General Faculty Committee passes a bill that allows
one Review and one WOBC reporter into the GF meetings, provided
s/he does not record the meeting with any electronic device.
The Review staff calls 60 S. Pleasant their home.
Senate threatens to cut Review funding after the Review refused
to print a story of the affiliation of the candidates for student
political parties. Senate reverses their decision and no funding
A student is expelled for overturning a table in anger. His anger
was caused by the tongue-in-cheek headline the Review ran over his
letter to the editor.
The Review prints twice weekly under editor in chief Tom Rosenstiel.
The Review moves from its semi-weekly format back to weekly (the
last time it was weekly was in 1911).
5, 1982- An ad "Term Paper Service," selling written term
papers causes a stir on campus.
Writer R.B. Brenner notes that the Review has finally moved from
typewriters to IBMs.
4, 1983-The Review threatens to cease publication due to insufficient
funding from the Student Finance Committee.
Review conducts a student poll about the paper.
- The Review began doing its own typsetting, design, photo screening
and paste up, increasing staff size.
(?)- The Review offices move from behind Fazio's (now the public
library) to the basement of Burton Hall.
The Review becomes available online for the first time.
- Husband of former Dean of Students Charlene Cole Newkirk files
suit against the Review for libel.
- The Review gets its first digital camera.
2000 - The Review changes publishing software to Quark XPress and
gets new design look.
- The Cole Newkirk lawsuit is dropped.
2001 - The Review website becomes PDA downloadable, one of the first
college newspapers to do so. We also claim the fame of being the
longest continuously running college newspapers in the country.
2001- The Burton basement offices get renovated.
31, 2001 - The first, as far as anyone can remember, orientation
issue is published.
2001- The Review moves to a .org website and gets a redesign.