College to remove asbestos
The College Facilities department will remove asbestos-containing insulation from the Jones Field House in two weeks after concerns were raised that it posed a health hazard to College employees and students.
The decision came after an article was published in the March 18 issue of the Review, in which electrician Art Fruner complained that damaged insulation over asbestos-containing-material had not been repaired.
“This was a decision that was made after the article that came out,” said Michael Will, director of facilities and acting director of environmental health and safety. “While we believe we’ve done due diligence, we recognize that this issue is not going to go away.”
Fruner was pleased with the development.
“It’s a good sign and long overdue,” he said.
In another recent development a heating and ventilation crew doing repairs on the Field House put up signs warning workers about the possible dangers from asbestos. This is a policy mandated by the Occupational Health and Safety Administration.
“HVC technicians were given the directive to do that,” said Eric McMillion, the associate executive director of facilities.
Will explained why the signs were not placed earlier.
“We didn’t get the right signs at first so we had to send them back,” Will said. “Finally we got the right signs.”
According to McMillion, the work will probably proceed in about two to three weeks.
“The removal of the insulation is going to take about five days,” he said. “We’re not just removing it from the area of concern. It then has to be re-insulated with a non-asbestos-containing-material.”
While enthused by the results, Fruner says he hopes that this is not the last step the College takes.
“We’re going to try and get a real good assessment of the health
damage caused by this to the employees who have worked with it,” Fruner
said. “It sounds like good news, though.”