Nov. 12, 1963
The New Review today is beginning another era in its 90-year development from
a bi-monthly magazine to a bi-weekly newspaper.
Back on April 1, 1874, volume one, number one of the Oberlin College Review
was presented to students, faculty, and alumni as “A Semi-Monthly Journal,
devoted to the Interests of Oberlin College.” Its first article was
entitled “A Visit to Waldbach, the Home of Pastor Oberlin,” and was
written by a certain “Rev. Jas. H. Fairchild.”
One of the major purposes in beginning the paper was to preserve the strong
familial connections between the students and alumni and their college. During
the earlier years the paper is often referred to as “home
The Review began as an eight page paper with two columns on approximately
notebook size paper. By 1888 it had expanded to 32 pages and become, in
actuality, a magazine. This magazine format remained until 1908. It attained its
largest dimensions in 1935, when it was eight columns wide and 24 inches long.
This newspaper never resembled the one commonly recognized by Oberlin students
News, as the word is accepted today, is non-existent in the earlier Reviews.
Articles entitled “Hamlet’s Indecision,” “The
Pleasurable in the Mysterious,” and “The Relation of Ozone to
Disease” appeared in 1875. Book reviews were often published.
A large portion of the 19th century Reviews was taken up with a column
entitled, “Personals,” the content of which would be dismissed as
gossip today but which was prevalent then. There was a joke column, an
obituaries column and one of “timely interest” to the students
entitled De Rebus Temporis.
The World War II years provoked more change in the Review. Women took over
most of the key positions, including editorship. A column entitled “From
the Boys” was begun with letters from College men overseas.