J. D. Yocom
J. D. Yocom served as an influential member of the Oberlin Community. In 1895, Yocom became secretary of the newly incorporated Oberlin Business College Company. 1903 saw Yocom and others involved in bringing progress to the Oberlin Community. In that year, the Oberlin Electric and Heating plant was incorporated by Yocom and others, offereing steam heat to the city of Oberlin. In the 1911 primaries, Yocom won the nomination for mayor over J. L. Edwards, leading the way to his three terms in office from 1912-1918. In 1912, the Yocom Brothers, an Oberlin company founded by J. D. Yocom and his brother E. K. Yocom, purchased the E. P. Johnson store, one of the oldest in Oberlin. Yocom's service in church and civic affairs allowed him to become an influential and prominent member of Oberlin.
Source: Wilbur H. Phillips, Oberlin Colony: The Story of a Century (Oberlin, 1933).
Back to Mayors