O. F. Carter
O. F. Carter's service in the city of Oberlin extended to a number of different arenas. 1877 witnessed Carter's effort, along with other prominent citizens of Oberlin. to build a railroad from Lorain to Perry County, connecting Lorain to the coal fields there. Carter lived through much inovation in American technology. In 1878, he, along with only two other citizens of the town, had one of Oberlin's first private telephones in his home; Carter was also one of the first Oberlinians to install electricity in his home. In 1893, Carter's goals took him much further, however, than the acquisition of luxuries. He served, in 1887, as president of a company prospecting for natural gas, and in 1899 as presdient of Oberlin's first Credit Association. Carter also owned a hardware store on South Main Street. As a member of the Republican party, Carter began his elected career by serving two terms as the county treasurer, beginning in 1896. Carter later served as a member on the Council, and was elevated to president of that body. In 1904, following the death of Mayor Alfred Fauver, Carter assumed the position of mayor, leaving M. G. Dick as president of Council. Carter served as mayor until 1908, when he was defeated by Joseph Wolfe amid public dissatisfaction of the Council's ability to deal with the gas question in Oberlin. Carter again became mayor in 1910, after the death of Mayor Wolfe, but died shortly after assuming office in April, 1910.
Source: Wilbur H. Phillips, Oberlin Colony: The Story of a Century (Oberlin, 1933).
Back to Mayors