42 North Park, 1867
This small, solid cottage is an Oberlin rarity, a house made of sandstone blocks. Despite access to nearby quarries in Amherst and Berea, and the sustained use of sandstone by the college in its late nineteenth-century architecture, stone never caught on as a domestic building material in the town. This place was built in 1867 by J.J. Hill for Uriel Hill, who ran it as a boarding house for bachelor tradesmen. The clover-leaf cutouts in the window shutters recall a later phase in its career, from 1942 to 1953, when local girl scouts used it for their rendezvous.