Violin 2013Download the Application
The competition is open to young violinists ages 13 through 18 born after July 26, 1994, and before July 20, 2000, and who have not won one of the top three prizes in a previous Cooper Competition.
Prospective competitors must submit:
- A letter of recommendation from their current teacher(s)
- An $80 entrance fee; refer to payment process
- The completed application form
- A DVD or other video format of continuous unedited performances of the following four works
- One of the last two movements of a solo sonata by Bach, chosen from BWV 1001, 1003, or 1005, as listed in the requirements for Round I.
- The first movement of the chosen concerto as listed below (except Shostakovich - the last movement). This must be the same concerto submitted for the Concerto Round.
- A Caprice by Paganini
- Any work of the applicant's choice
All application materials must be mailed and postmarked by April 15, 2013. Invitations to compete in Oberlin will be sent by May 10.
Competitors must offer a complete concerto and 40 minutes or more of recital repertoire as listed below.
FIRST ROUND — 35 minutes
Saturday — Monday, July 20-22
Approximately 24 violinists will be chosen to perform in Oberlin
1) One of the following selections from the Sonatas of J. S. Bach
Siciliana and Presto from Sonata No. 1 in G Minor BWV 1001
Andante and Allegro from Sonata No. 2 in A Minor BWV 1003
Largo and Allegro Assai from Sonata No. 3 in C Major BWV 1005
2) The second movement of one of the following Concerti by W. A. Mozart:
Violin Concerto No. 1 in B-flat Major, K. 207, Adagio
Violin Concerto No. 2 in D Major, K. 211, Andante
Violin Concerto No. 3 in G Major, K. 216, Adagio
Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major, K. 218, Andante cantabile
Violin Concerto No. 5 in A Major, K. 219, Adagio
3) The first movement from one of the following Sonatas by Beethoven
Sonata No. 1 in D Major, Op. 12, No. 1, Allegro con brio
Sonata No. 2 in A Major, Op. 12, No. 2, Allegro vivace
Sonata No. 4 in A Minor, Op. 23, Presto
Sonata No. 5 in F Major, Op. 24, (Spring), Allegro
Sonata No. 8 in G Major, Op. 30, No. 3, Allegro assai
4) A Caprice from Op. 1 by N. Paganini (except #4, 11, 7, or 16)
5) A brilliant concert work
6) A work or works of the competitor's choice. This may include the work(s) submitted with the application, but may be different.
The conservatory will provide experienced piano accompanists to all candidates for:
- One-hour studio rehearsal with their accompanist on Friday, July 19
- One half-hour stage rehearsal for the Semifinals on the performance day
- One-hour studio rehearsal for the Concerto round
- One-hour stage rehearsal for the Solo Finals on Wednesday
SECOND ROUND — Concerto RoundTuesday, July 23
An entire concerto selected by each competitor from the list below will be performed with piano accompaniment. Approximately 10 violinists will advance to this round.
Cooper Competition Violin Concerto List:
- Brahms: Concerto in D Major, Op. 77
- Bruch: Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 26
- Dvořák: Concerto in A Minor, Op. 53
- Glazunov: Concerto in A Minor, Op. 82
- Khachaturian: Concerto in D Minor
- Mendelssohn: Concerto in E Minor, Op. 64
- Paganini: Concerto No. 1 in D Major, Op. 6
- Prokofiev: Concerto No. 1 in D Major, Op. 19
- Prokofiev: Concerto No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 63
- Saint-Saëns: Concerto No. 3 in B Minor, Op. 61
- Schumann: Concerto WoO 23
- Shostakovitch: Concerto No. 1 in A Minor, Op. 77
- Sibelius: Concerto in D Minor, Op. 47
- Tchaikovsky: Concerto in D Major, Op. 35
- Vieuxtemps: Concerto No. 4 in D Minor, Op. 31
- Wieniawski: Concerto No. 2 in D Minor, Op. 22
RECITAL FINALS — 30 minutesWednesday, July 24
Competitors must select this repertoire from the works in the first round.
Six finalists will perform for 30 minutes each in a program selected by the judges. At the conclusion of this round, fourth, fifth, and sixth prizes will be announced. This round will be broadcast live on WCLV 104.9 FM.
New this year: Watch the Recital Final Round online. Simply go to the Events Calendar and select the bold red event title to access the "Watch Video" button.
CONCERTO FINALS WITH THE CLEVELAND ORCHESTRAFriday, July 26 at 8 p.m.
The three remaining finalists will perform their complete concerti with the Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall. First, second, and third prizes will be awarded at the conclusion of this round. This round will be broadcast live on WCLV 104.9 FM.