Violin 2011Online Application Download the Application
The competition is open to young violinists ages 13 to 18, who were born before August 19, 1998, and after August 12, 1992.
Prospective competitors must submit:
- A letter of recommendation from their current teachers
- An entrance fee of $80
- The completed application form
- A DVD or other video format of continuous unedited performances of the following 4 works
- One of the last two movements of a solo sonata by Bach, chosen from BWV 1001, 1003, or 1005, as listed in the requirements for Round I.
- The first movement of the chosen concerto as listed below (except Shostakovich - the last movement). This must be the same concerto submitted for the Concerto Round.
- A Caprice by Paganini
- Any work of the applicant's choice
All application materials must be mailed and postmarked by May 13, 2011. Invitations to compete in Oberlin will be sent by May 20.
Competitors must offer a complete concerto and 40 minutes or more of recital repertoire as listed below.
FIRST ROUND — 6 works
SATURDAY — MONDAY, AUGUST 13-15
First Round (approximately 24 violinists) - 35 minutes duration
1) One of the following selections from J. S. BACH
Siciliano and Presto from Sonata No. 1 in G Minor BWV 1001
Andante and Allegro from Sonata No. 2 in A Minor BWV 1003
Largo and Allegro Assai from Sonata No. 3 in C Major BWV 1005
2) A lyrical work from the Classical era:
Either the second movement of one of the following violin concertos by W.A. MOZART:
Violin Concerto No.1 in B-flat Major, K. 207
Violin Concerto No.2 in D Major, K. 211
Violin Concerto No.3 in G Major, K. 216
Violin Concerto No.4 in D Major, K. 218
Violin Concerti No.5 in A Major, K. 219
or one of the following by L.v. BEETHOVEN:
Romance No. 1 in G Op. 40
Romance No. 2 in F Op. 50
3) The first movement of one of the following Sonatas by BEETHOVEN:
Sonata No. 1 in D Op. 12 No. 1
Sonata No. 2 in A Op. 12 No. 2
Sonata No. 4 in A Minor Op. 23
Sonata No. 5 in F Op. 24 (Spring)
Sonata No. 8 in G Op. 30 No. 3
4) A Caprice from Op. 1 by N. PAGANINI (except #4, 11, 7, or 16)
5) A brilliant Concert Work
6) A work or works for the competitor's choice. These may include the works submitted on DVD, but may be different.
Experienced piano accompanists will provided to all candidates for:
- One-hour studio rehearsal with their accompanist on Friday, August 12.
- One half-hour stage rehearsal for the Semifinals on the performance day.
- One-hour studio rehearsal for the Concerto round.
- One-hour stage rehearsal for the Solo Finals on Wednesday.
SECOND ROUND — CONCERTO ROUNDTUESDAY, AUGUST 16
An entire concerto selected by each competitor from the list below will be performed with piano accompaniment. Approximately 10 violinists will advance to this round.
COOPER COMPETITION VIOLIN CONCERTO LIST:
- Brahms: Concerto in D Major, Op. 77
- Bruch: Concerto No 1 in G Minor, Op. 26
- Dvořák : Concerto in A Minor, Op. 53
- Glazunov: Concerto in A Minor, Op. 82
- Khachaturian: Concerto in D Minor
- Mendelssohn: Concerto in E Minor, Op. 64
- Paganini: Concerto No. 1 in D Major, Op. 6
- Prokofiev: Concerto No. 1 in D Major, Op. 19
- Prokofiev: Concerto No. 2 in D Minor, Op. 63
- Saint-Saëns: Concerto No. 3 in B Minor, Op. 61
- Schumann: Concerto WoO 23
- Shostakovitch: Concerto No. 1 in A Minor, Op. 77
- Sibelius: Concerto in D Minor, Op. 47
- Tchaikovsky: Concerto in D Major, Op. 35
- Vieuxtemps: Concerto No. 4 in D Minor, Op. 31
- Wieniawski: Concerto No. 2 in D Minor, Op. 22
RECITAL FINALS — 30 minutes duration:WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17
Six finalists will perform for about 30 minutes each in a program selected by the judges. At the conclusion of this round, fourth, fifth, and sixth prizes will be announced. This round will be broadcast live on WCLV FM 104.9
The recital round repertoire must be selected from the works in the first round.
CONCERTO FINALSFRIDAY, AUGUST 19 7:30 PM
The three remaining finalists will perform their complete concerti with the Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall. At the conclusion of this round, first, second, and third prizes will be awarded. This round will be broadcast live on WCLV FM 104.9.