Campus Dining Services strives each year to initiate a variety of programs to decrease the environmental impact of our services. During the 2010-11 school year, we conducted a food waste audit during lunch Monday-Friday at Stevenson.
As of Fall 2011, we are composting all pre- and post-consumer food and paper waste (including napkins) at Stevenson using our new pulper-extractor machine. The compost is given to Rosby Resource Recycling in Brooklyn Heights, southern Cleveland. This has allowed us to reduce our food waste by 80%!
Our ongoing Food Audit has allowed us to:
- educate students about the amount of food that is being wasted
- provide information that will encourage students to change their habits
- identify waste "leaks" that can be further plugged
You can help by:
- Consciously deciding to put on your plate only what you believe you can eat
- Asking for smaller portions whenever you would like them
- Scrapping food and paper waste from your plate into the waste audit receptacle
- Making suggestions on a comment card or by contacting the CDS Office at x58101
We plan to:
- Post the information of the quantity of the food waste in both a daily and a weekly average
- Respond to your suggestions