The Department of Campus Dining Services
invites applications for Front of House Cook Substitute Pool workers.
This is a part-time on call substitute position reporting to the Unit
Manager/Supervisor. The employee will be contacted as needed for the
day and shift that is needed up to 40 hours/week and may be working
in any of the 4 dining locations.
Responsibilities: The Front
of House Cook Substitute is expected to prepare and cook foods following
food safety guidelines and the College’s expectations of food quality
and presentation. The Front of House Cook Substitute will accomplish
his/her duties in a clean, organized, safe and efficient manner, maintaining
a clean-as-you-go policy; being sanitary and safety minded at all times
and keeping good personal hygiene. The Front of House Cook Substitute
is expected to work with other employees as a team to reach common goals,
while showing excellent customer service at all times. Additional responsibilities
include, but are not limited to, the following:
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting, and carving all variety of foods, including meats, vegetables, desserts and other menu items; responsible for preparing food for exhibition stations (i.e.: grill, fryer, deli, pizza , salads, etc.).
- Prepare menu items for customers requiring special diets. (Cook special grill items upon request.)
- Prepare all foods indicated on daily menus; understands and follows recipes based on standard portion size, making changes only with the consent of the Supervisor/Manager.
- Schedule food preparation so that items are prepared in small batches continuously throughout the serving period to ensure the highest food quality.
- Estimate food requirements and control portions to eliminate waste and leftovers; responsible for the efficient, effective and safe use of leftovers.
- Ensure that serving line is kept replenished at all times; break down stations at end of meals.
Safety and Sanitation
- Maintain “Time and Temperature Logs” during thawing, cooking, holding, cooling, storage and reheating; maintain accurate labeling procedures and rotation of food products.
- Follow H.A.C.C.P. (food safety guidelines), departmental, College, OSHA safety and Lorain County Health Department policies, procedures and regulations.
- Assist in keeping freezers, walk-ins, and other storage areas in proper cleanliness and order; maintain proper rotation; assist in ensuring that all foods are covered, labeled, initialed, and stored properly.
- Be in proper uniform for the entire shift.
- Reports any injury or improper food handling practice to the Manager.
- Be aware of and indicate use of any common allergens.
Oversee and Instruct Staff
- Instruct and direct temporary and student staff involved in preparation and service in their area. Meet with students prior to meal service to inform them about the menu (especially ingredients and allergens).
- Model effective teamwork and cooperation. Be friendly and courteous to others, including co-workers, showing excellent customer service at all times.
- Solve problems independently, professionally, efficiently and fairly. (Refer problems as needed, to supervisory/manager.)
- Seek assistance (e.g. lifting over 50 lbs.) from Maintenance employees when necessary.
- Work flexible schedules, as requested.
- Ability to operate a variety of kitchen equipment to measure and mix ingredients, washing, peeling, cutting and shredding fruits and vegetables, trimming and cutting meat, poultry and fish.
- Clean and sanitize work stations and equipment and check equipment and cooking areas daily to make sure they meet safety and sanitation requirements.
- Report repairs and maintenance needs to supervisor.
- Lift pots and kettles, bags of flour and sugar, etc. Able to move and lift foodstuffs and supplies.
- Price and stock items in DeCafé.
Marginal Job Functions:
- Perform student job duties (line serving, line running or waiter/waitress) as needed
- May, at times, perform duties in other areas of the kitchen, such as salad preparation.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Candidate must have at least 1 years of high volume food service experience related to the above duties preferably in an institutional setting;
High school diploma or equivalent;
Must pass a basic skills test at time of interview including reading, writing, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions and percentages;
Ability to follow standardized recipes accurately;
Ability to stand for duration of shift, less break periods;
Ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds;
Experience demonstrating the ability to get along well with others;
Willingness and ability to work flexible
schedules; and favorable references including a good attendance record.
Any offer made to an external candidate is contingent upon satisfactory
completion of a comprehensive background check and pre-employment physical
and drug test.
To Apply: Complete
an application (available on line or in the Office) and submit a resume