Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
71. Wright Zoological Laboratory (1927-1959)

Wright Zoological Laboratory

Wright Zoological Laboratory, n.d.

Wright Zoological Laboratory was named in honor of Albert A. Wright, for thirty-one years Professor of Geology and Natural History in Oberlin College. The building was erected by the Second Congregational Church during the years from 1867 to 1870, and was used by that church until the union of the First and Second Churches in 1920. In 1927 the College purchased the property, removed the steeple, and remodeled the building as a temporary home for the department of Zoology. It contains a large auditorium, two class rooms, five laboratories, a departmental reading room, and offices. The marginal floor space and gallery are occupied by the Zoological Museum. A tablet, placed in Spear Laboratory in 1908 as a memorial to Professor Wright, occupies a conspicuous place near the entrance of Wright Laboratory. [Wright Zoological Laboratory was demolished in August, 1959. Bibbins Hall of the Conservatory complex currently occupies Wright’s former location.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -