Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
24. Women’s Gymnasium (1881-1950s)

Women's Gymnasium

Women’s Gymnasium, n.d.

A brick structure, two stories in height, was built in 1881 located south of the Ladies Hall (Second). It was ready for use in September, 1881. Its cost was $8,000. The lower floor was used for gymnasium purposes, while the upper furnished dormitory accommodations for young women. In 1886 the entire building was given over to gymnasium uses. In the summer of 1906 the Rockefeller Skating Floor, built in 1895, was remodeled for gymnasium purposes at an expenditure of $7,500, and the two buildings taken together now constitute the Women’s Gymnasium. The main room is 90 by 50 feet, 18 feet high on the sides, and 28 feet high in the center, with a visitor’s gallery extending across the east end. [The Women’s Gymnasium served in various capacities from 1943 to 1948. The western part was torn down in 1948 to clear space for Harkness Hall. The rest of the building was demolished in the early 1950’s.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -