Oberlin
Using the Archives Contact Us Search Site Index -
College Archives
-
Home
Holdings
Published Resources
Teaching Resources
Records Management
Exhibits
Exhibits
News
Outside Links
About the Archives
-
library links
70. Westervelt Building (1927-1976)

Westervelt Building

Westervelt Building, n.d.

In September, 1926, Mr. Edmund C. Westervelt of South Bend, Indiana, presented to Oberlin College the property on South Min Street that had been used for many years for the Oberlin High School, together with two business properties, all as an unrestricted gift for any use that the College might wish to make of it. In the winter of 1926-27 the building was renovated for use as a college recitation hall and given the name “Westervelt Building.” It contains recitation rooms mainly used by the departments of English and Modern Languages, laboratories for the work in Accounting and Mechanical Drawing, a study room, and offices for members of the faculty. The building was erected in 1873-74 by the village of Oberlin. [Westervelt Hall was used for classes until the King building opened in 1961. It remained vacant most of the time but was used by the Co-Op Bookstore after their original building was demolished until the new structure was available. In 1974 it was listed in the National Register of Historic Sites. It was sold to the city in 1976 and then to A.H.Clark in 1979. The Nord Family Foundation purchased the building from Kenny and Ada Clark in 1995. In 1996 it opened as the New Union Center for the Arts. The building also houses “Uncommon Objects,” Allen Art Museum’s gift store.]

 
 
Oberlin College Seal -